Braided vs Rubber Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am gradually returning to rubber hoses after trying 3 brands of braided hoses--including DGX. AS braided fail, I replace with rubber. In my opinion, braided hoses are a solution in search of a problem.

only time i felt a braided hose was nice was when i got two very high quality (or they seemed like it anyway) short LP braided hoses included with a gear order from cave adventures.
not sure what brand they were but they were quite soft and not so plastic like on the outside like most i had seen before that.
i used them for drysuit and wing inflation hoses when diving double sidemount.
they were extremely flexible and had no "push back" like the short rubber hoses that were much much stiffer.
so the braided ones did offer me some benefit in that particular situation.
but other than that i would not waste your money.

I find braided hose for the primary second stage to provide some additional comfort on a long dive due to the flexibility. I don’t have anymore right now.

See the FAQ near the bottom.
The FAQ seems to suggest braided hoses are OK. Of course DGX sells both :confused:.
The choice is largely a matter of availability or personal preference, the price is about the same. Rubber hoses haven't changed significantly since the beginning of diving. Compared to rubber, the braided flex hoses (introduced in the early 2000's) are much lighter weight and much more flexible. Depending on hose lengths, a regulator setup using flex hoses is going to be about 2 pounds lighter than comparable rubber hoses. Some divers prefer the weight, but frequent flyers often choose flex over all other considerations when they want to travel as light as possible. Most divers in really cold water less than {50° F | 10° C} report the braided flex hoses perform much better than rubber.

Flex hoses are sometimes promoted as more durable than rubber and while true it is also irrelevant because you should replace your hoses every five years of service regardless. A few of the early flex hoses had an issue with the material of the inner lining, but that issue was addressed long ago and should not be a factor in your decision. Today, we can detect no difference in reliability for either material and we can also say that braided flex substantially outsells rubber. It's also worth pointing out that all our suppliers have now switched to braided flex hoses supplied their regulators.

The FAQ seems to suggest braided hoses are OK. Of course DGX sells both :confused:.
I think they are OK reliability wise now. Just don't buy a used one older than 2017.

The choice is yours depending on your personal preferences for cost, color, external feel, and flexibility.

My personal preference is Piranha Ultraflex. They are smooth on the outside like rubber but very flexible. They are also rated for 5000 psi which is much higher than most other rubber hoses. And again, Piranha stamps the fitting with a date so you know how old the hose is. Some people dislike the flexibility saying they may kink easily and reduce or shut off gas flow. I never experienced that.

Never had an issue yet with my braided hoses or my rubber ones. I like that the braided ones are lightweight..

I have had two Miflex HP hoses fail within a single year, upon pressurization; and only have a single hose remaining on a spare SPG / depth gauge console.

When that one goes tits-up, it's sayonara and back to rubber hoses -- of which I have had only four or five LP and/or HP failures over almost as many decades.

The braided hoses are a neat idea but they really haven't stuck the landing . . .

I have had similar experience with braided HP hoses (I have the DGX generic brand). They were failing right where metal ferrule was crimped on, starts leaking gas from there. I am slowly switching back over to rubber.

As for LP hoses I have had no issues with them and I would say about 90% of my LP hoses are miflex. Although my long hose short hose for cave diving is rubber. I found the Miflex hose gets very "prickly" after you beat them up a bit. You will see that older Miflex hose that gets used and abused in the cave environment gets pretty fuzzy.

I have seen that Miflex has a new line of hose XT-Tech. Maybe this is the answer if you looking for rubber coating but braided hose performance. I am curious to try this hose but all my hoses are still working so ill only change them if required. I am kind of a if it aint broke don't fix it kind of a person.

See the FAQ near the bottom.

Also one thing to note about DGX LP hoses.

They are a lot more "floppy" than the actual MiFlex brand the hose material is noticeable cheaper than MiFlex hoses. I don't know how much this affect the performance of longevity of the hose but its something worth noting.

It mainly just annoys me. When you tuck your LP hose/2nd stage into your tank bands the 2nd stage you get limp floppy 2nd stage syndrome. Nobody likes a limp floppy 2nd stage. Your 2nd stage is kind of drooping over your tank bands.

Miflex has a new line of hose XT-Tech. Maybe this is the answer if you looking for rubber coating but braided hose performance.
I used Miflex on short hose setups without issue for several years, and I still use them on low pressure inflators for the flexibility. However, I don’t use them on any of my long hose setups because they rub the back of my neck raw. I’ve mostly gone to rubber long hoses. However, I do have one with XT-Tech hoses. These are smooth and comfortable on your neck but are a bit slick so they don’t like to stay put if you tuck it under your waist belt. I’ll probably use it until it needs replaced and then go back to rubber.

Similar to others, I’ve had a braided HP hose leak right at the crimp but LP hoses have been fine. I think the HP hose had some extra pulling but still shouldn't have failed. I like the braided LP hoses a lot, they are lighter and much more flexible. I’ve been using all DGX branded hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom