Breakwater last Friday--- where's Fred?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code4medic

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So there I was..I bought a new 7mm wetsuit and was dying to try it out. I was at the Monterey Aquarium last week with my family so I thought what a better way to try out a wetsuit than some colder water. (I live in southern San Luis County and work in Santa Barbara). Instead of going south, I made reservations with a Monterey dive shop to take a tour up there on Friday. Great decision.

We dove two tanks at Breakwater just across the street from the shop. My suit fared very well. I wasn’t bothered by the 50ish degree water. There was a whole heck of a lot to see out there. Felt like I was diving in the aquarium. I was very impressed with my whole experience up there. Sadly a dive camera was sacrificed to the kelp about halfway down the wall, but the dive went great otherwise.

On a side note, I was hoping to take a picture with “Fred”, but he was no where to be seen. I asked about him and the DM I was with knew who exactly who he was… so did a few others. I feel like I went to Paris and missed the Eiffel Tower… perhaps another time.

I am glad that I didn't restrict myself to the local spots on my free day. I need to go back sometime to get a pic with Fred.

yea!! I want to see what this guy looks like as well. Anyone got some pics they'd like to share.

Do you suppose Fred is a member or lurker on Scubaboard??

I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just trying to enjoy the whole "Monterey dive experience" and take a souvenir photo while I was at it.

The vis was great...30'ish maybe...a little green, but a good time was had by all (except for the camera incident). I'll have to try the bay out again sometime.

coreypenrose:
Heh. I saw Fred on Sunday mumbing to himself about how people think he's some of stalker.

In a way he is. Last time I was down there he parked next to us while we suited up and stayed there for a long time watching us without saying anything. Finally he asked if we could be dive buddies. I said that we already had a plan and he asked where we were from and if we had seen some other Monterey dive sites. After taking his card, having politely declined, he still stayed parked next to us watching for a long while after that.

The vibe and behavior were not typical.

Fred aproached me one time a while back when we had a ScubaBoard member dive, too funny. He looks like the cartoon character Andy Cap.

We did buddy with him once before though (before we knew!) and it was uneventful.

In a way I feel bad, maybe he just needs friends. But in another way there are more constructive behaviors to make friends than watching people for a long time without saying anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom