Breathing off the BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...

The very best way to deal with an OOA is to prevent it.

There You Go!!!!

Mark

JohnStrr once bubbled...
I got paired up with a total idiot (I hate to say stroke) on my first ocean dive, I barely even saw him, and this is after talking about it on the boat. I guess he hit the water and forgot everything. Needless to say I stayed with the DM, he for one didn't mind having an extra tank nearby him :wink: .

You know, if it’s your dive, you get to pick your buddy. Don’t let anyone pressure you in to taking someone you don’t want either. I trust 2 people to be my buddy and I doubt that will ever change. Strangers certainly don’t qualify as a “buddy”. I was once asked by a park ranger to take a solo guy with me and my wife since he didn’t have a buddy. I respectfully declined because I didn’t know him from Adam, I knew nothing of his skills, and I was prepared to practice skills that would begin at the “prevent your death” sign. Hardly a place to get acquainted. The wife felt bad for the guy, pressured me into letting him dive with us. So I spent a whole dive bored out of my gourd, never got practice what I set out to do, spent all of the time above 60’. I signed to the wife (we both know ASL) that I was going to go shove my fins under a ledge and sleep. I did so and while she entertained our new “friend”. The bottom line is that if you’re gearing up and you get a feeling about someone’s skills, don’t be afraid to tell the cattle boat driver you’re not getting in the water with them. Drowning should be a spectator sport, not participation necessary.

The only "GUE Technique" I know of that involves breathing off the inflator is not an OOA technique, it's a failure of the backup regulator while already sharing air technique (or something similar).

It involves pressing the inflator and dump vales at the same time AND BREATHING THE AIR BEING SUPPLIED BY THE CYLINDER, not the bag. This is one of the reasons given for the inflator to come off the right post, though far from the primary reason.

Think "manual demand regulator." :)

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
The only "GUE Technique" I know of that involves breathing off the inflator is not an OOA technique, it's a failure of the backup regulator while already sharing air technique (or something similar).

It involves pressing the inflator and dump vales at the same time AND BREATHING THE AIR BEING SUPPLIED BY THE CYLINDER, not the bag. This is one of the reasons given for the inflator to come off the right post, though far from the primary reason.

Think "manual demand regulator." :)

Roak
The technique predates GUE considerably. Are they claiming it as their own?
Rick

Hello,

Loss of Air Supply

The first step in evaluating an out-of-air situation
should be to confirm that the apparent air loss is real.
Before reacting precipitously, the diver should stop, think,
attempt to breathe, and, if it is possible to do so, proceed
with a normal ascent. Divers should be taught that many
out-of-air situations are related to the diver or the situation
rather than to the equipment or actual loss of air supply.

If a diver determines that his air supply is depleted, the
suggested order for managing loss of air supply is:
• Normal ascent
• Alternate air source ascent
• Controlled emergency swimming ascent
• Buddy breathing ascent
• Emergency buoyant ascent

<snip>

If loss of air is sudden and unexpected and no auxiliary
air sources are available, buddy breathing using a single
regulator may be necessary. Often, the distressed diver
will begin to cough or choke. Until the diver’s condition is
stabilized, both the diver and buddy should maintain their
depth while continuing to buddy breathe. Air donors
should allow the victim to use their air supply as much as
possible without jeopardizing their own supply. When the
distressed diver’s condition has stabilized, a safe ascent can
be made.

<snip>

If buddy breathing is not possible, the diver can make
an emergency buoyant ascent to the surface while venting
air continuously. Unless the breathing apparatus is
entangled, however, a diver should not abandon it. The
reduction of ambient pressure as the diver rises to the surface
increases the pressure differential, possibly providing
additional air for breathing from the scuba and allowing
the diver to make a controlled ascent, but divers must
remember not to hold their breaths while employing
these procedures.

...End snip....

Can someone please tell me where your buddy is at and what he/she is doing while your breathing from your bc as a last resort to save your life?

Ed

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Rick
No more than
backplates
deep stops
number signing hand signals
rule of thirds
long hose primary
necklaced secondary
and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment

None of these are either GUE or WKPP inventions, but GUE has done a good job of making them more widely known.

when FRESH air is a mere 75 ft away???
Totally irrellelavent when your alternative is breathing water.
Even at 60 fpm you would be on the surface in 75 secs. Even with partially filled lungs, you would have more than enough air and would arrive way before hypoxia could set in. This would apply mostly to in-attentive solo divers or to in-attentive divers who also lost track of their buddy. Obviously these types of divers wouldn't make good candidates for "Diver of the Year".

The best avenue of escape for a solo, entangled, OOA diver would be to ditch their BC and weights and find the surface ASAP (still imitating superman and saying "n" as you ascend). To argue that you would be able to untangle yourself with the few precious seconds afforded by the air in your BC, using one hand to operate the inflator valve and the other to free yourself borders on fantasy. I am sure that Mike Nelson could accomplish such a feat, but as I am yet to his level of expertise, I would ditch and go. OF course, should you endeavor to demonstrate this, I would be willing to bring some spare air down for you to prolong the agony. It would be my guess that you would happily accept my octo in short order.

As almost is always the case... Roak is right. But he should be as he has the inside track on what GUE teaches. I figured it would be close to what I was taught and I was right.

FWIW, Pops your continued use of "aegis" borders on the inane. Please stop! It’s not so much that you are stretching the definition as you are distending it beyond all recognition. An aegis is the symbol or "control" (as in authority) under which you operate. That symbol can be a name, slogan, coat of arms (shield), a person or whatever. I teach Scuba under the aegis of NAUI. My aegis on the board and in business is NetDoc. To think that your "aegis" is bladder breathing is pushing it at best. Although the graphics would be sorta cool! I only post it here as you have indicated that you would like ALL correspondence between us to be in the public forum. It is as you wish.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Fins Wake referred to "This is my understanding of GUE:s (sic) technique..." I was merely using the same terminology to make reference to Fins Wake's post, hence the double quotes around "GUE Techinique" denoting a not-generally-accepted usage of the phrase.

I don't think GUE has come up with a single original idea on their own, nor do I think they have ever laid claim to one, either.

Roak

I think the broken (filed down) kitchen knife concept is all theirs. I am sure there are others as well! :tease: Oh, oh, oh... I almost forgot, that using the "S" word is definitely all theirs!

I don't think GUE has come up with a single original idea on their own, nor do I think they have ever laid claim to one, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom