Bret Gilliam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had never met him, although my dive buddy knew him and dived with him on occasion. But I will never forget, in 1992, wanting to get into Tec diving, after reading Gary Gentile's books, I went right to his, "Deep Diving". Would read it on my lunch breaks while studying for the Florida Bar Exam. Started me on an amazing adventure! Thanks Brett. RIP

Very sorry to hear the news. He was only a few months younger than me. We spoke around once a year about the Andrea Doria, sat diving, and mutual friends. I'll miss those long conversations.

Bret was nice enough to send me some c-cards to avoid hassles on liveaboard trips since DMs onboard had no idea about Navy or commercial diving certifications. "Inst: Bret Gilliam #1" on the cards never failed to be commented on.

When Drager/Uwatec unveiled their Dolphin Rebreather in 1997 at the DEMA show, Bret was the Rep that I sat down with to talk about the system. That same event I too their rebreather class from Rob Palmer (RIP). I had seen Bret from afar for years before that. He was also behind the "Cruise Ship for Divers" the Ocean Spirit.

He was definitely one of the giants.

How long ago had he had his stroke? Was it recent or has he been dealing with post-stroke health challenges for a while?

My mom had several strokes and one finally took her from us many years ago.

He was definitely one of the giants.

How long ago had he had his stroke? Was it recent or has he been dealing with post-stroke health challenges for a while?

My mom had several strokes and one finally took her from us many years ago.
I don't know exactly, but it was not too long ago. His FaceBook posts were a never ending stream of jokes, comics, and humorous memes, and it was not too long ago that it all suddenly stopped.

Bret was an icon and legend. And one of the funniest people i've had the privilege to know. His sense of humor bordered on crazy. Every time i saw him, i ended up laughing. His love for dogs and diving was without equal. Bret will be missed by so many.

Bret was an icon and legend. And one of the funniest people i've had the privilege to know. His sense of humor bordered on crazy. Every time i saw him, i ended up laughing. His love for dogs and diving was without equal. Bret will be missed by so many.
What a diving hero. Great guy. Spoke with him by phone a few times about his deep dive knowledge and experience. Dove his record deep dive with a tekna reg. He wouldn't part with it sitting on his bookshelf behind his desk. The things he's done for the industry are heaped in stacks.
Rest easy .....

What a diving hero. Great guy. Spoke with him by phone a few times about his deep dive knowledge and experience. Dove his record deep dive with a tekna reg. He wouldn't part with it sitting on his bookshelf behind his desk. The things he's done for the industry are heaped in stacks.
Rest easy .....
Here is what wiki said;

Again, unfashionably late to this wake :eek: , but………………………...still doesn't lesson the blow. :facepalm:

This news sucks! But as the saying goes “no one gets outta here alive” (Jim Morrison). Bret was an imposing figure (physical and mentally) and a giant of a man in the dive industry on whose shoulder many, if not most of us, stood / stand, even if all not aware of it. Although only intermittently in touch in recent years, a personal friend of my wife and I since doing our first trimix course with him and Mount in Florida (1993), and then our first rebreather course with him and Palmer in the Bahamas (1995). And then it was he and the late Peter Hess who sponsored my admittance to The Explorers Club (1998). Good, well, the best of times my friend! :thumb:

Now its off to the afterlife for your deepest dive yet old mate, with two of your pals (below) already waiting there to ‘buddy-up’ with you again; left to right below, Tom Mount, Bret Gilliam, Rob Palmer, Richard Bull. (What a rogues gallery!) And if your reading this, do hope you took a good stash of your favourite ‘intoxicant’ with you. :skull:

Quite the 'lad' when he was young(er), his early(er) life - and what a life - condensed into words;

Gone, but not / never forgotten.

Vale Bret. :lotsalove:

Attachments

• Tech Dive pioneers -Mount-Gilliam-Palmer-Bull-Florida 1992 PHOTOGRAPHER-UNKNOWN.jpg
    Tech Dive pioneers -Mount-Gilliam-Palmer-Bull-Florida 1992 PHOTOGRAPHER-UNKNOWN.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 72
I knew him, and he was truly a larger than life personality. I consider the Fathoms Magazine live aboard trips I did with him to be some of the highlights of my diving career. I’m proud to have his name as my instructor on my TDI Draeger Rebreather C-card obtained on a 12 day adventure in Coco’s Island on the Sea Hunter in 2003. On that trip his wife Gretchen was aboard and the two of them couldn’t have been more friendly and engaging and just really nice people. I’ve read many of his books, subscribed to two dive magazines he was involved with, read hundreds of his articles in Undercurrent and elsewhere, and followed his dive career and wonderful exploits with much enjoyment over the years. I’m personally sad at his passing but know it means nothing compared to those who were really actively engaged in his life. My sincere condolences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom