Bright colored wetsuits, since sharks like dark-colored seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

**Scuba_Steve**:
at least it confused me alot when I was in school.
Bullsharks don't school! :D

There have been some half *** atttempts to study sharks and color and as far as I see none of them are actually worth the paper or electrons they are written on.

Yum, yum yellow is an urban legend.

Most shark attacks are not due to confusion with a seal because I imagine many sharks in Florida, Bahamas etc have never seen a seal.

Very few scuba divers are actually attacked by sharks though snorklers and surfers it seems may suffer a bit more vulnerability.

There are so few shark attacks on divers in general as it is statisitcally IMPOSSIBLE to draw good conclusions and no study to date has either despite attempts to do so--insufficient data should be their conclusion.

If---IF---color did help deter sharks--if--the most likely time of an attack, the greatest vulnerability, would be when the scuba diver is on the surface and here RED would look RED not black for whatever that is worth but of course as a silhouette who knows what the shark sees.

Colored gear would be more useful at keeping the number one potential nemisis of scuba divers at bay---power boats and jet skis. As a power boater myself and a diver the suicidal infatuation with the NAVY Seal Team/Secret Agent outfits in black is puzzeling. Scuba gear these days largely is like the Model T, you can have it any in any color as long as it is black.

I don't need a study to tell me that I can clearly see a diver on the surface in a red wet suit, orange beanie and orange wing/BC more clearly than one in black. Not only that, black/white and other colors because they occur naturally in nature do not command the attention that yellow, orange, red or chartruse/neon colors do because they DO NOT occur commonly in nature and therefore stand out as something to pay attention to by the power boater. While boaters may ignore the dive flag it is my observation that they would prefer not to damage their 500 dollars propellers on a scuba tank and therefore are likely to avoid hitting you if they can see you and I don't need a govenrment study to prove that, perhaps a new study tieing global warming in somehow?

No matter how style'n divers try to be the visual feast that a diver presents with a hubcab in the mouth and an airbag wrapped around them and in a rubber suit and a goofy mask is most distressing--why try to look good at something that defies the potential to even look good at all? diving is not a fashion sport.

Sharks are unpredictable and pretty much do as they wish regardless of what color your fins or wet suit might be. I don't think colored scuba gear is even an issue with them.

N

**Scuba_Steve**:
I think you are way better off putting some geometrical patterns or complex math equations on your suit. Im pretty sure that this would confuse them more than a different color; at least it confused me alot when I was in school.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I think that I saw the most varied and brightly-colored wetsuits in the 80s.

Red and Yellow stripes, Black and Red, Neon Green (solid) and even some that were white.

The most interesting one I saw was on a young lady who had a black and white pattern that looked like an Orca. She joking said that this was so whe could scare the sharks away...

I noticed when I got back into the sport this year that I had my choice of black, or black with dark blue accents for the most part.

I'm kinda glad that the Neon Green didn't catch on. Not good for those rough mornings on the live-aboard with the 15 ft swell and huevos rancheros for breakfast!

There was just a show on the discovery channel during shark week about this very thing......Colors tested were Black, Red , and Yellow. The Black the Shark (believe it was a bull shark) didnt even look twice at it, the red it went to take a look but didnt have any aggression, and yellow it tried to take a bite out of, even thru the cage. it was very informative.

Here's my theory as to why the sharks were attracked to the lighter colors. I'm just pulling it out of my ***, really.

But, perhaps the lighter color looks like the inside of the seal, or whatever is already dead and the insides are exposed. This would make for less work for the shark. Just a leisurely meal without having to go to the work of killing it yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom