Dive Suit Color Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
It seems to me that after all I have read about shark attacks in the ocean that the color choices we chose when picking out a wetsuit are not very wise.

If you look at the shark attack files maintained by some university it has details as to even what colors the divers are wearing. Now I can say that the colors vs. attacks is probably out of whack somewhat since almost all wetsuits are black mostly.

But it is amazing how black and blue seems to be most prevalant in shark attacks, whereas black and red are less so.

Do the manufacturers of these suits ever look at stuff like this? I for one think that having all black stuff is kinda boring. I want to make a statement out there. I would like a wetsuit in blue with yellow detailing. Or for the ladies purple with pink detailing?

What is everyone elses opinions on this. Maybe if enough of us say "hey you guys" we want something different they will listen and start making wetsuits in other colors which could potentially make us less of targets to fish.

I know that many fish that are brightly colored are that color as a warning to other fish. If divers were that way maybe sharks wouldn't zoom by going dang, that must be one of those big splittail seals. Looks good enough to eat?

After everyone posts we should send this thread to some of the manufacturers.

[red]Caution:[/red] There is conflicting evidence on the color of choice for a sharks dinner bell. Studies have shown that given the same circumstances, certain sharks prefer certain colors, but you move one species over and the colors change entirely. The most interesting study I have seen to date on this subject was a diver who tried a banded wetsuit to mimick a poisonous sea snake. Many sharks instinctively avoided the color combination. Makes ya think huh!

No doubt he was avoided by his buddies as well!

Quip from a man know as 'Stealth Diver' for his ability to look like an underwater version of Johnny Cash.

Hey Syrus and all...

You have to compare apples with apples here...

If 90% of all divers wear black or black/blue color schemes, then one could logically expect that %90 of all shark attacks involve those color schemes. Less would indicate (possibly) that the colors attract sharks less, and more would obviously indicate the opposite.

That being said, there are NO real records as to who wears what in the briny blue, and so we can not determine whether sharks are more pre-disposed to attack one color than the other. This same statistical annomaly is why you are more apt to be bitten by a shark in 2' of water... There are WAY more people in that depth than at any other! I think it was once written that statiscally, you should move through ankle deep water slowly, RUN through knee deep water, slow down in waist deep and relax when you are over your head.

(Which is where I am now in any further discussion of statistics... someone's gonna ask me for the standard deviation, I just know it!!!)

(And every knows that I am NO standard deviant!!!)

:tease:

WIth all applicable apologies to Johnny and his fans...

Shark's got me cornered blues...
(to the tune of "Folsom Prison Blues")

I see the shark a comin'
He's comin' 'round the bend!
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
since, I don't know when!!!

I'm stuck down on this reef now,
And time keeps dragging on...
If that shark don't leave soon,
All my air wil be gone!

I put on black and blue now,
I should have tried the green!