Question Spear fishing wetsuit for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm really bored with black wetsuits, and there's not a lot of choices for different colors.

The camouflage spear fishing wetsuits intrigue me. I'm considering a switch to a camo wetsuit just for fun.

Is that silly?

I noticed that all of the 2.5 - 3 mm camo wetsuits are two-piece. Never tried a two-piece before. I always wear a hood, so the integral hood of the top suits me just fine.

Take your black wetsuit, tie it up in as many knots as you can, then soak it in a 30% bleach / water tub for 20 - 30 minutes. Then rinse...

I'm considering a switch to a camo wetsuit just for fun.

Is that silly?
It's not silly at all and infact widely used and verified by many nationally ranked spearos. You can get off the shelf camo wetsuits in both green/tan or aqua blue/grey colors from stores like Austins in Miami, Florida Freedivers in North Palm Bch or even go custom made from JMJ wetsuits. Not only do wetsuits come in 2pc but also 1pc and in both open cell or closed cell neoprene. Surfers also get custom printed wetsuits that help deter sharks. Almost anything is possible now with wetsuits.

Now if the above sound like it may drain your wallet a bit, then you can also just choose to change your mask to a UV mirrored glass to hide your eyes. If a fish see's you looking at them closely they will usually avoid you. But many divers testify that a mirrored mask that reflects back a fish image allows you to close the distance to your subject.

I'm really bored with black wetsuits, and there's not a lot of choices for different colors.

The camouflage spear fishing wetsuits intrigue me. I'm considering a switch to a camo wetsuit just for fun.

Is that silly?

I noticed that all of the 2.5 - 3 mm camo wetsuits are two-piece. Never tried a two-piece before. I always wear a hood, so the integral hood of the top suits me just fine.
We have many customers who use our suits for scuba diving. However, please be aware that these suits are considerably warmer than a typical scuba suit which has zippers and quite often no hood. These suits leak almost zero water and this makes, for example, our 3 mm suit the equivalent of a typical 5 mm scuba suit with a back zipper and a separate hood.

Also, these two piece suits, require the use of suit lubrication and about 90 seconds of prep before donning, but the process of slipping into the suit is very quick and easy. see video below if you aren't familiar.

Our suits are on sale for Black Friday, if you are shopping!

I think that camo is a bit of a gimmick to catch fishermen rather than to catch fish. Fish are sensitive to vibrations via their lateral line and you can't hide vibrations with camo. Camo doesn't hurt of course and if it makes you feel more stealth that's cool, but if you want to get closer to fish, I think it's better to be as quiet and relaxed as possible in the water.

I once stalked a school of white sea bass (probably the most skittish gamefish in Socal) out in the open on scuba in a black wetsuit by just swimming slowly along keeping my head down and not making any sudden moves. As soon as I looked up and made eye contact with the fish, they started to bolt (see the mirrored lens comment above) but I had time to plant a shaft and land one. Probably a once in a lifetime experience.

I’ve been using freediving suits for scuba for years, great way to go.
They’re warmer with less water migration and the cut of the suit with the attached hood and beaver tail in two piece is the warmest configuration.

We have many customers who use our suits for scuba diving. However, please be aware that these suits are considerably warmer than a typical scuba suit which has zippers and quite often no hood. These suits leak almost zero water and this makes, for example, our 3 mm suit the equivalent of a typical 5 mm scuba suit with a back zipper and a separate hood.

Also, these two piece suits, require the use of suit lubrication and about 90 seconds of prep before donning, but the process of slipping into the suit is very quick and easy. see video below if you aren't familiar.

Our suits are on sale for Black Friday, if you are shopping!
Once or twice I've been fast enough to recommend your stuff before you came in with a link. Usually a late night post on lights, never on wetsuits :)

I have a freediving suit which I wouldn't hesitate to use for SCUBA, but getting it on is a bit of a PIA, requiring lube as described above. It would be hard for me to do that on a boat dive, but would be easy on a shore dive with a beach shower available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom