Question Spear fishing wetsuit for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The PITA factor of using lube is overblown in my opinion. I've been using freediving suits for the past 15 years, and don't have any problem putting them on as fast or faster that anyone else. The only exception to the race is a well broken in 3mm 1 piece with a back zip, donned by someone that puts it on multiple times per week. Those pretty much slide on a like a pair of pants.

If you are diving in warm water, it's even easier to just jump in the water to don the suit, no lube needed but takes a bit longer.

I mix my own lube out of soap (dawn, or baby shampoo works best, with the side benefit of doubling up baby shampoo for mask defog) or hair conditioner and water. About a 10-1 ratio works fine. A couple sprays in each limb hole, a few in the waist of the pants and a few more in the waist of the jacket, and you are good to go. It takes more time moving the suit around to spray it than to put it on. I'd say 3 minutes is about the time from getting the suit out to having it on. 3mm, 5mm, 7mm doesn't matter, they all work the same.

The PITA factor of using lube is overblown in my opinion.
Once someone learns how to don/doff/care for an open cell wetsuit I agree that typical specific difference between wetsuits designed for freediving/spearfishing verses scuba is a non-issue...
As mentioned in the link I shared the ideal type of neoprene is completely opposite ends of a spectrum of physical qualities. For scuba the neoprene needs to retain insulation value at depth and minimizing buoyancy swing from neoprene compressing at depth (along with durability, both gear against wetsuit and long lifespan with substantial time being compressed at depth).

Tell me about your 2mm one-piece wetsuit.

This is my current wetsuit:
Probe "Quick Dry" 3mm semi-dry wetsuit.
Probe Wetsuits Australia : Mens iDRY QUICK DRY SEMIDRY 3MM - ON SALE NOW!
My 2mm one-piece is:

For comparison purposes glancing at the semi-dry wetsuit link you shared I am confident it is MUCH warmer than my 2mm (ie MUCH warmer than assuming 50% warmer since 3mm is 50% thicker than 2mm; primary reason being having to heat up all the "cold" water that gets into my 2mm suit from the neck). But that increased warmth costs more money and more restricted movement...
In short 2mm one-piece occupies niche of protecting my skin from abrasion/jellyfish stings while extending my comfortable time in water that I could otherwise dive in board shorts or a rash guard.

My scuba wetsuit goes on much easier over a skin.

Actually, I have more trouble getting out of my wetsuit than getting into my wetsuit.

I usually dive in shorts and a long-sleeve rash guard. I don't dive anywhere cold anymore. Recently I sold my drysuit. But lately I have been diving in places that require that I use my 3mm wetsuit. If I have to use anything heavier than a 3mm wetsuit, then I'm not diving there. So, basically, staying warm is not really an issue because I don't dive anywhere cold.

Tell me about your 2mm one-piece wetsuit.

This is my current wetsuit:
Probe "Quick Dry" 3mm semi-dry wetsuit.
Probe Wetsuits Australia : Mens iDRY QUICK DRY SEMIDRY 3MM - ON SALE NOW!
Thanks for taking an interest in our suits! I agree completely that a rash guard shirt makes putting on a nylon lined suit much easier. However, previously we were talking about "skin in" or open cell suits, is also used. These types of suits have a nylon backing on the outside (for abrasion and uv protection of the rubber) but the inside is basically "raw" unlined neoprene. This material will stick to the rash guard a good bit, probably even if you use lube. I know I am repeating myself, but if you have used suit lube on a open cell suit, you will understand how it eliminates any struggling. There is also a special technique that relies on a buddy to remove the jacket which is also, nearly effortless and does not stress the suit. We have a video about that as well.

If you are interested in a camo suit that you CAN wear a rash guard under, then the one piece 2 mm suit that we offer is great. It is reversible with two different camo colors on the inside and outside. However, this suit is for warm water, it is NOTHING like a two piece freedive suit. The 2 mm, one-piece suit has a back zip and will allow water into the suit - the same as any other "scuba" suit. It is a great suit for warm water, probably 78 to 85 degrees and we offer a lycra hood and also neoprene hood that are independent.

The 3 mm freedive suit could probably be used in water between 78 and maybe 62 degrees, hard to say exactly because there are huge variations between individuals, but it is much warmer.

@Doc Harry
You should give a skin in suit more consideration.
Yes they require lube, but they slide on so easy and they are extremely comfortable, way more comfortable than any other suit. The lack of zippers is a big plus, little to no water exchange. I’ve stayed in the water spearfishing for hours on end. On a boat in between dives just pull the top off and wear a boat coat. Keep your lube in a spray bottle in your dive bucket by your spot and when you’re ready to dive again just spray a little lube in and slide it back on. Or just pull the hood down and keep the top on. I’ve stayed in them all day.
Also, skin in suits never stink. They dry quick and the lube keeps them smelling good. I pick a hair conditioner that has a nice scent and mix it about 4:1 water/lube and that seems to work great.
I’m telling you just give it a try, you’ll be very surprised and pleased how great they are.
The non skin in ones are not the same, nowhere near as warm.

Harry, if you want to, shoot me a PM. I have a 5mm MAKO two piece suit and the 2mm suit that Dano is talking about. The 2mm is fine with a skin.
The two piece open cell suits are indeed much warmer than a standard suit of the same thickness.
You cannot get an open cell suit on without lube. Unless you want to rip it to shreds on the inside. Either the Suit Slide from Mako or what I have used when I ran out.
Suave hair conditioner mixed with a little water. Coconut is my favorite.
It works well, smells great, and Jackie will appreciate how silky soft your skin feels :wink::cuddles: after the dives. Just make sure to rinse the suit well after the diving is done.
If you get a proper fit you'll be as warm in the 3mm as you would in a standard 5mm.
The lube helps to get the suit off as well. Once you've watched the video and done it a few times you'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner.
I don't have any issues getting the suit off and on myself now. Having help with the top is nice when you first start using one until you get the hang of it.
The inside of an open cell suit is a little fragile and you can tear it if you don't use the lube or pay attention to where you are grabbing it. It also is not fond of sharp toe nails.

Will I need more weight with a 3mm open cell compared to my 3mm semi-dry?

Is the semi dry a chest zip one piece with attached hood?
Then maybe a teeny bit, but not much - 1 to 2 lbs. maybe, since the freediving suit is two piece. But depending on the suit, some of those freediving suits have thinner suspenders so that the top will sit flatter on your body.
Try it with the same weight first, and if you need more put more.
But the suit will be new too so they are plumper and may need more weight until it breaks in.

Like Eric said, maybe. My 5mm two piece means I have 10mm on some of the core. Which adds to warmth but doesn't feel bulkier. With it I need 4lbs more than with my old Pinnacle 5mm one piece. That suit is close to 12 years old with hundreds of dives so it's probably compressed a bit.
With a MAKO freediving belt it's worth the little extra weight because of the additional warmth.
But like a traditional suit if it's too warm you can always flush with a little water.
The open cell suit tends to cling a little better so, for me, there's very little if any unintentional flushing through the suit.

The open cell suit tends to cling a little better so, for me, there's very little if any unintentional flushing through the suit.

So...... what's it like to piss in that wetsuit?

My wife and I have been diving together for almost two decades. During the dives, I would snuggle up to my wife and hold her for a long time while we drifted in the current. Recently I told my wife that gesture was my underwater signal for, "I'm pissing now."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom