Bright colored wetsuits, since sharks like dark-colored seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that there have been a few different tests, all not very well controlled.
The thing that is disconcerting is that they have all come to the same conclusion: Yellow is yum yum to sharks, amongst other more visible colors.

Thinking of it from the shark's perspective, if you're swimming through the water and you smell 2 bags of chum, one you can't see very well, one you can, you would be inclined to choose the one that is easier to target.

To counter this, I force-feed the local fishy delights to my mates before diving, and avoid yellow gear.

Mythbusters just reciently did a show on if sharks would attack with dolphins around. They dragged this cardboard cutout of a sea lion around (painted black), and the great whites attacked the "sealion". I never thought they would go for a piece of black cardboard, but it worked. So, black as an anti-shark thing - don't think so.

BTW, the sharks didn't attack when the fake dolphin was around. Maybe we should look like dolphins. :)

I think you want to look like something the sharks are afraid of like an Orca. I think I saw it somewhere where the guy had a white and black suit in the orca coordinating colors which the sharks stayed a little further away from. Of course some people will think you look like a Holstein (black and white) cow.:D

To this date there is no conclusive proof that sharks are attracted to any particular color.
Most shark attacks and agressive passes are made in murky water/low viz conditions or when we wound a fish while spearfishing and they silt the bottom.
I believe people tend to "humanize" the shark. Giving it some intelligence it really does not have. Case in point about color is we dive deep clear water where almost all colors fade to browns. Yet sharks are still "attracted" to us.

I've noticed on our shark dives that the blues seem to investigate yellow-colored fins far more frequently than any other color. That is why I wear black... all black. Just call me the Johnny Cash of SCUBA diving... and non-DIR at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom