Bright Orange and Yellow Wings and Thermal Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s not relying on, it's just another visual aid, like a SMB, mirror or dye with the benifit that I don’t have to remember to bring it with me

If you don't remember to bring the safety gear then it appears you are in fact
relying on the wet suit for location. This is not wise. Kal

Absolutely. Let's just hope that pink is not the new black. BTW, the ladies snorkel is on the wrong side.......:)

Very nice boat. Is that a Scottish flag by the ladder?.......
Actually both divers have their snorkels on the right. Back in the day it was said that, "All air comes from the right," and the snorkel was, in fact, worn on the right.

Or, since you forgot an integral part of your kit, you chose to dive another day..........

Actually both divers have their snorkles on the right. Back in the day it was said that, "All air comes from the right," and the snorkel was, in fact, worn on the right.

I didn't know that and I bow to your years of experience. As an aside, was that written on one of the original stone tablets......in Sumerian.......:D:D

... I am starting to be "sold" but wondering if I could pass the fundies.
Passing fundies your first time out would be a pat on the back at what a great diver you are, which is nice. Flunking fundies on the first time out will, on the other hand, will in the long run make you a much better diver than you are.

I didn't know that and I bow to your years of experience. As an aside, was that written on one of the original stone tablets......in Sumerian.......:D:D
And for some wierd reason European single hoses came over the left. Witness the fact that my old FENZYs have the oral inflation hose on the right. I experimented during one class, way back when, with diving "European" so that I was a mirror image of the students. It was interesting, but I only did it that one class.

Does anyone know: was the left the supply side on early European double hoses?

Stop over and visit the accidents and incidents forum and read about divers drifting away from their boats. Black is cool but not the end-all-be-all in dive gear. I buy and use the gear I like based on its function and my needs. The color is not important. What is important is your confidence in the gear’s ability to perform as you expect. That said, my wing is bright blue and my wife’s is bright red.

I agree that function is of paramount concern; if the gear I require is also available in yellow, for instance, then I choose the yellow. Bright colored fins, for example, won't help a boat to find you. However, here in the often murky or dark waters of northern Ontario, I personally find it easier to maintain a visual on my buddy when bright colors are worn. Probably doesn't matter much in the clear sunny waters of Florida, but it sure helps up here.

It’s not relying on, it's just another visual aid, like a SMB, mirror or dye with the benifit that I don’t have to remember to bring it with me

If you don't remember to bring the safety gear then it appears you are in fact
relying on the wet suit for location. This is not wise. Kal

Regardless of "forgetting" anything, brightly colored equipment makes the diver more visible, using zero extra equipment, zero additional task loading and zero extra cost.

How can this be a bad thing?

Terry

Absolutely. Let's just hope that pink is not the new black. BTW, the ladies snorkel is on the wrong side.......:)

Very nice boat. Is that a Scottish flag by the ladder?.......

Actually, no, the snorkel on both divers is in the correct position, on the right hand side. This is how it was taught during the 60s and 70s. First, the idea was that air sources were on the right, everything other was on the left. The snorkel is an air source thus right. Second, with a double hose regulator there is no more likelyhood of entanglement on either side. Sometime in the 80s I noticed snorkels being carried on the left, despite this, both me and my wife still wear our snorkels, when we carry one, on the right as were were taught and has long been tradition.

Thanks for the compliment on the little boat, no, that is a Confederate Naval flag. It, along with the Bonnie Blue (single star on a blue field) and the square orange Stars and Bars were all flown on Confedrate naval vessels. The Panahandle region of Florida was once an independent nation BTW and you will often see the Bonnie Blue flag on cars in that area, google Republic of Florida. The Florida parishes of Louisiana (north of the lake), southern Mississippi and Alabama and the panahandle region of Florida were part of the Republic of West Florida. That of course predates the War of Northern Aggresion.

http://www.crwflags.com/FOTW/flags/us-wstfl.html

Bright colors that are not normally part of nature, bright yellows, neons, safety oranges, really do catch attention for that reason.

N

Regardless of "forgetting" anything, brightly colored equipment makes the diver more visible, using zero extra equipment, zero additional task loading and zero extra cost.

How can this be a bad thing?

Terry

Well put, sir.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom