Bright Orange and Yellow Wings and Thermal Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the compliment on the little boat, no, that is a Confederate Naval flag. It, along with the Bonnie Blue (single star on a blue field) and the square orange Stars and Bars were all flown on Confedrate naval vessels. The Panahandle region of Florida was once an independent nation BTW and you will often see the Bonnie Blue flag on cars in that area, google Republic of Florida. The Florida parishes of Louisiana (north of the lake), southern Mississippi and Alabama and the panahandle region of Florida were part of the Republic of Florida. That of course predates the War of Northern Aggresion.

N

So I learn something more here today. Very good. The "War of Norther Aggresion"!! I met some folks from down your way who said that the war was not over, they were just "re-arming"....... Still think the flag looks like you copied the Scottish...no insult intended.......to the Scottish:eyebrow: Just kidding. I know you take your Southern Pride pretty seriously. Thanks for the history lesson. Always interesting.

Regardless of "forgetting" anything, brightly colored equipment makes the diver more visible, using zero extra equipment, zero additional task loading and zero extra cost.

How can this be a bad thing?

Terry

Pretty good argument really.

If a lot of the DIR principles didn't come from Cave diving, we just might see a lot more coloured gear in tech diving........So now I might have to watch my buddy for 45 minutes of deco wearing pink, chartreuse and fluorescent yellow.......my eyes......

Last edited:
I have to say that I did the video for a class last March, when the visibility was truly awful (Peter, hovering at my feet, could not see my head). The only student I could reliably find in the murk was the one with the yellow fins. White tanks do almost the same thing. I think having something yellow or white is a good idea in very low viz (which is why I wish I could buy the yellow-orange Jets the Japanese have) but a canister light is even better :)

So, then, just as I finally get caught up and have ALL black gear y'all go and decide that yellow is the new black, what the hades. Day late and a dollar short as always, SOP.

TeamCasa, I caught your "cute" comment there buddy and the replacement of the e with an i, are you trying to provoke me sir :wink: ? It ain't gonna work.

N

Regardless of "forgetting" anything, brightly colored equipment makes the diver more visible, using zero extra equipment, zero additional task loading and zero extra cost.

How can this be a bad thing?

Terry

Well put, sir.

It is not a bad thing. The poster said he doesn't have to remember to bring his safety location
equipment with him because his wet suit is brightly colored. Your comfortable with that? Kal

So, then, just as I finally get caught up and have ALL black gear y'all go and decide that yellow is the new black, what the hades. Day late and a dollar short as always, SOP.

TeamCasa, I caught your "cute" comment there buddy and the replacement of the e with an i, are you trying to provoke me sir :wink: ? It ain't gonna work.

N

Nemrod, Please accept my sincere apology. I did not realize I spelled your name incorrectly. I really did mean that I liked you boat. I had a very similar 18’ Boston Whaler that served me well for many years.

I edited the error.

It is not a bad thing. The poster said he doesn't have to remember to bring his safety location
equipment with him because his wet suit is brightly colored. Your comfortable with that? Kal

Nay, please allow me to clarify: "brightly colored equipment makes the diver more visible, using zero extra equipment, zero additional task loading and zero extra cost." That is the statement I agree with.:D

Not sure if most folks realize this. The human eye is most sensitive to the color yellow. The yellow wavelength of the Sun's light is also its peak wavelength. So, a diver with yellow gear will be easier to see in all light conditions. I have a DUI drysuit with the high-viz yellow panel for just this reason. I do a lot of inland (quarry) diving. Having a yellow tank protector or drysuit like mine makes it much easier for other divers to see at a distance. As a secondary benefit, yellow REFLECTS the Sun's light. So, it will not be as hot on a sunny day.

I've found that having white cloves is great for communication.

As for colours, I'd rather have something that's actually reflective (along with my orange SMB of course).

Things are a bit more organized today (that's a photo from 95) but I think the benefit of something reflective on the hood is pretty easy to appreciate.

:)

Bjorn

P.S: I also have yellow stripes painted on my black fins. While they didn't win style points in Fundies, they've sure been useful (like on dive boats when there is a giant stack of black turtle fins, I always know which are mine. :) ).
Oh, and my fundies instructor had a glue DUI suit. Go figgure :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom