Bring Brand New Gear on Vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering how maladjusted so much new gear happens to be, right out of the damn box, especially regulators, I would definitely test everything out in a pool session -- which will neither kill you nor your gear.

If it is only a matter of a new BC, I don't think that it really matters, since it's really chaff compared to some other gear . . .

I'll do some pool practice tomorrow. My new BCD is back inflate when I'm used to rental vests so you are right I probably should have some time to get used to it. Do you all bring your own wetsuits? I'm a pretty particular size that can be hard to fit but I'm imaging toting around a soggy wetsuit is probably a pain.

Correct but why get used to a new BC on vacation. Each one is a little different even among jackets or back inflate or BPW.

Is it a big safety thing, no its just a getting used to thing. Why waste vacation dives getting used to if you don't have to. It just makes the vacation a little more fun.
Versus getting used to rental gear?? Sorry, not following the logic here!

I'll do some pool practice tomorrow. My new BCD is back inflate when I'm used to rental vests so you are right I probably should have some time to get used to it. Do you all bring your own wetsuits? I'm a pretty particular size that can be hard to fit but I'm imaging toting around a soggy wetsuit is probably a pain.

I bring everything, renting a wetsuit is like renting a heavily used soiled underwear.

If you’re a hard fit, bring your wetsuit.

It's no different than getting rental gear on a trip.

Truth is dive gear isn't all that much different. Except maybe jacket vs back inflate BCDs, the typical vacation diver isn't going to notice any difference between fins, or wetsuits, or the regulator they're breathing from.
That's about what I was going to say. If it fits, breathes well, etc. it should be OK. The pool tryout would be nice.

A hanger with a built in fan?

Who knew!
Apparently you? You'd be surprised how many don't know about those. I certainly didn't until last year or year before. Then again I had no reason to expedite the drying process because I just let them dry in the garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom