Bringing Back Liquor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thanks for the info everyone.. I appreciate it. Good thing I don't smoke cigars.. it'd be just my luck to get checked if I tried bringing em back..:mean:

U.S.Customs will allow 2 liters (who says Americans can do metric?) from Mexico, and Texas officials never hang around the airports checking for such. Extra bottles may get taxed, but it's not all that much. I just never do. I'm already carrying enough weight, and the savings usually aren't impressive enough - unless you want a nice bottle or two of scotch. Cozumel airport store had Balentines on for $14 this week.

Taking booze and smokes into Utah, though - you're on your own, bubba!

good luck, don

Are there any canadians out there that know the rules regarding bringing back a couple of bottles of teqiula?

If you have more than the limit, you're traveling too heavy. :) But really just, declare it. I think you only pay on the excess and I doubt it's more total than you would have paid at home anyway. I don't know how much, because I've never had more than one extra, and in that case my experience is they don't want to bother anyway. Especially if it's a busy airport.

I got a good one for ya. We have a friend that is a manager of the hotel we stay at. Every trip we find a chilled bottle waiting for us on arrival in our room. The last time we visited we actually had 2 bottles (1 for each room). We drank one and thought we would bring the other home. After we got home we read the label and it had stickers imported into Mexico from California USA! We transported a bottle home that we could have picked up at the corner liquor store!

Anyway, last I heard it was upped to 2 liters per person. I never had a problem with customs. They are not looking for people bringing home an occasional extra bottle or two. They are looking for bigger fish. Besides, I believe you can bring in more than the 2 bottles but the additional bottles must be declared and you have to pay extra for those additional bottles.

My advice would be to do whatever the hell you want and if you get caught, cross that bridge when you come to it. You're a diver for chrissakes--live a little!

Shrug your shoulders--"Oh, only two liters? Geez, sorry officer, I thought it was four . . . "

Unless you're a major jackass, have a serious attitude problem, or catch a customs agent on a REALLY bad day, what's the worst that can happen??

lol eggman:D :D

if anyone would ever like to know the names of some good tequila let me know, I probably know a few. ( I live about 40 min from the town of tequila-where tequila is made.):yummy:

And the official rules, according to the flight attendant, are that every person is allowed 1 liter and any bottles over that amount are subject to a whopping $2 tax. Yes, that's TWO dollars (I want my 2 dollars...anyone remember "Better off Dead"? :) Now this is flying into Dallas--like Gordon said, each state might have different rules.

However, on the itemized part of the customs form, all you do is write "Alcohol" and then whatever $$ amount you spent. I usually put $20, that way they don't get curious about how many bottles I have. I usually bring back 3-5 bottles (not a lush but my friends are :) You don't have to list each item individually--just group your purchases into categories.

I do have to comment on the use of credit cards though...there IS a 16% service fee for using a credit card on Cozumel. This is due to the Cozumel banks, not your credit card company. The shop owners aren't going to eat that cost, so if you want to use a credit card, YOU must pay the extra fee for the convenience.

I don't recommend using credit cards down there--take cash, traveller's checks or take your debit card and get pesos from an ATM. Do NOT use your debit card for purchases--some unscrupulous individuals could wipe out your entire bank account. Most stores will give discounts for cash and it's just less hassle all around.

We have been going to Mexico about every 6 month for the past several years. Each time it has been the same - 2 bottles of liquor per person allowed without having to declare and pay for more. We have never had to prove what we put on our customs forms as being exactly what we brought back with us. Plus, our bags have never been searched at the US airports returning from our trips to check. They are searched at the Mexican airports, but they don't care how much you are bringing back.

A word of advise - check the US prices before going down there so you know what a good deal is, and don't be afraid to bargain the price. You won't get anywhere with that at the airport shops, but downtown shopping you have a better chance of good prices. MAKE SURE THE BOTTLES ARE SEALED!!

Yes, a cigar is a cigar is a cigar - as long as the label is gone!

Remember, Mexico doesn't care how much you try to take out of their country (as long as you paid for it). The US doesn't care how much you bring back (within reason). They allow each person to bring some amount back without paying any customs or duties. Simple.

On your return trip, the airline will give you a US customs form to fill out on the plane ride home. Ask for a US Customs Declaration form on your way into the country, and it will tell you the current limits. Simple. I doubt they would question why you want the form, but it would be easy to explain that you want to know the limits. Simple.

If you choose to exceed the limits, then just be sure to declare everything. The worst that could happen is that they make you pay a small amount for the overages. However, in the unlikely event that you were "caught" bringing in amounts in excess of the limit that you did not declare, then that could get ugly. Absolutely not worth the trouble.

My friend brought back well more than the limit (on a cruise) and they waved him through because it was not worth their time to charge him a couple bucks. Some places might think it was worth the time, others may not.

Just my opinions.

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom