Broken screw removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christozs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

i did something stupid and i would like some input in case someone had the same experience and got out of it.

I have a Suunto Vyper Novo and after 3 years it was about time to change the battery. I decided to do it on my own cause .... why not!

I got the Suunto Kit and changed the O-ring and the battery. I got a dive in the cold waters of Denmark at max 5 meters and i had no issues.
Then i went to Egypt on a liveaboard. First dive at 30m, all good. Second dive at 20m, half way it just turned off. Luckily my buddy had a spare one with her and i completed the dive and the whole trip with hers.

I read here that even if it floods all is good cause it has different chambers. And it's true, i came back, opened it, changed the battery and it worked fine.
While i was being super excited that i still have a dive computer and i don't have to buy the Perdix yet, one of the screw broke inside the hole.

So now there is actually a real damage.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-19 at 7.06.12 PM.jpeg

Is there a way to get it out?
I already found a kit i could buy with a new battery and the screws included.
I asked Suunto and it sounds like it's around 100 euros for sending it, checking it, fixing it and sending it back.
I will ask the dive shops around too, but i am hoping there is a cheaper way to fix my mistake.

Left hand drill bit.
I am not sure if there is such a tiny size or you have to buy a whole set.
Good luck.

or similar...

While i was being super excited that i still have a dive computer and i don't have to buy the Perdix yet, one of the screw broke inside the hole.

So now there is actually a real damage.
Yeah, you need an extractor as said.

For starters, I'd cover everything but the broken hole with masking tape to avoid metal shavings getting everywhere. You'll need to drill a starter hole. Start with the smallest bit you can use, as the break is usually not flush, so the bits will want to walk, and starting with a pilot hole will help to center the larger drill bits. A drill press if you have it will be much better than a hand drill. Using some cutting oil will help. Then use one of the extractor bits as posted, assuming they go small enough.

Go slow. If the extractor breaks, it's pretty much done at that point. But it wouldn't be all bad as then you can get the Perdix you wanted.

I would take it to specialty watch repair shop. They might have the extraction tools needed more over the the jig to hold the watch properly while the screw is extracted. Which will need to be very accurate.

There is not much margin of error because you are working on a very small area(1mm?),
Find out the cost to have it done professionally.
DIY?
If you have the right equipment.

Worst comes to worst: sealed it with glue(good enough for 3yrs if the battery last that long) and buy a new one as well.

Hey, that stinks. Before you do something permanent that ruins your DC long term, you might try another technique.

Search on the web for "removing broken bolt with center punch or drift" for some videos on the method. Because of the small size of your bolt it will require a sharp pointed awl or similar.

If that broke off because it seized, its not coming out.
If it broke because it was overtightened, there might be a chance, but would be best left to someone with experience extracting tiny screws.

I have extracted many bolts. But this is a totally different ball of wax...
You need to drill perfectly centered...
I doubt you are set up with even a drill that can chuck the drill bit... and you can't do it with a hand drill...

Don't do anything,
find a good watch maker and let them try. If not just glue the cover down..

Also next time put a bit of lube of some sort in the threads before assembly

Back
Top Bottom