Broken screw removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the screw is in a plastic socket, I would not use a drill. It will slide off and make a hole in the plastic. I'd rather try tweezers with very fine tips and would not worry if the thread in the plastic gets damaged cause you can always screw in a thicker screw.

the female looks like a threaded metal insert into a plastic case, and really tiny. I would go down the jeweller road myself, but you still have to get a bolt small enough , diameter and length to go in the hole. plan B would be glue it down and throw it out when the time comes for the next battery change,

Along the same lines as the super glue, but not super glue. You could try a tiny dab of thick epoxy on a small allen key. Short of that, I would take it to a watch shop.

Sewing machine tools are teeny too
And the tiniest piece of rubber band

For example, but much larger situation:

the female looks like a threaded metal insert into a plastic case, and really tiny. I would go down the jeweller road myself, but you still have to get a bolt small enough , diameter and length to go in the hole. plan B would be glue it down and throw it out when the time comes for the next battery change,
Sorry, just re read the original post and saw the comment about the kit coming with screws. Is the cover intact, I am surprised the screw sheared without damaging the battery cover

Thank you all for your replies.

I agree that whatever i try to do is risky, so i will send it back to SUUNTO for them to check it and tell me a price. If they cannot do it i will try to find a watch shop, otherwise i will glue it and do 70 more dives with it until it's Perdix o'clock.

So i went to a dive shop to see if it could be fixed there but they sent it to SUUNTO in Hungary. The cost was 1299 danish kroner (175 euros) but i guess a profit for the dive shop is included.
Could be cheaper if i sent it on my own, that's like half of what i paid for it.
Expensive mistake(s) but better than completely losing a dive computer.

So i went to a dive shop to see if it could be fixed there but they sent it to SUUNTO in Hungary. The cost was 1299 danish kroner (175 euros) but i guess a profit for the dive shop is included.
Could be cheaper if i sent it on my own, that's like half of what i paid for it.
Expensive mistake(s) but better than completely losing a dive computer.

@Christozs, I suspect that considering what they charged you, rather than try to extract the broken screw, what probably Suunto Hungary did is just send you a new or refurbished Suunto Vyper Novo. It would result in a cheaper and safer way to "solve" your problem. You can probably tell us if that's what happened because I noticed that you can read the serial number of your "original" Vyper from the first picture you posted. All you'd have to do is check if it matches the serial # of the computer Suunto sent you back. Nothing wrong if that's what Suunto did. I'm just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom