Brrrr.........We're back!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi to all,
Debbielou and I are back home after three weeks in Grand Bahama. Originally the trip was for two weeks but, the weather wasn't very good for diving half of the first week and then we had the hurricane come close. So, we extended our trip another week.
We both did more training while we were there. Debbielou is now certified AOW and Stress and Rescue. I am now certified SSI Master Diver. We both did our first night dives and also got to dive Ben's Cavern. I really enjoyed the cavern dive and some "swim through" caves in the coral. I can see where I might like to get into more of this kind of diving. Yes, I know it requires a lot more experience and training.
I see there's been more changes while we've been gone, and you people have been talking an awful lot. I don't know if I'll ever catch up.
We took 11 rolls of underwater photos I'll post them with a link as soon as I get them back. I'll also post a trip report after I go through about 200 e-mails.
It's good to be back,

Tavi and Debbielou

Yesterday was the first time in 25 days that I wore long pants and shoes. :D:

and welcome back Tavi.

Being in the warm water and climate can sure TEMPT someone to become a CAD, eh.

Congrats to you and Debbie on your newest certs. I do have a question and please don't take offense, this is not meant to be a slam just curious.

What are the quals to become a Master diver with SSI? I saw where you stated that you did your first night dives and just was curious. Again, no slam just curious.

no sympathy for you!! The least you could have done was bring back some warm weather and sunshine. geesh

Welcome back you guys...

Glad to have you back amongst the frozen...errr...chosen. :p

Really looking forward to your reports and photos...especially the photos.

--TM

Hi to all, and thanks for the warm (not outside) welcome back, and the congrats.

socaldiver, SSI Master Diver (not to be confused with divemaster) requires 50 or more dives, 4 specialty coarses of your choosing, and Stress and Rescue ( First-Aid/CPR is a prerequisit for Stress and Rescue)

Butch103, I'm in construction, and right now there is a lot going on on Grand Bahama. It does get awful tempting to stay sometimes!!But this is home, and where most of our freinds and family are.

Tavi :cold:

I feel so much better when I'm in the saltwater each day, and the hot tub each night. :D:

Tavi....

How similar is SSI's Stress and Rescue to the other Rescue Diver courses from the other agencies?

Hi Mike,
I can't answer your question. I don't have anything to compare it too.
We had part of 3 days, reading, homework,class, movie, and in the water practice of assist and rescue skills. I did read the books for SSI and SDI. the SDI book covered all the same material but I thought it went more in depth and covered it more thouroughly.
Some of the skills were covered in my wife and sons NAUI open water coarse (I got to sit in on their classes and play in the pool when they did theirs), I don't remember doing them in my SSI open water coarse.
Sounds like a good question for someone familiar with the different agencies.

Tavi

How long before it starts to warm up again? :D:

Sounds like they are probably pretty similar, just a slight difference in name. Funny SSI chose "Stress" since usually it's PANIC!!!!

I just completed my SDI Rescue Diver class last weekend (so did CavernQT, so send her some congrats those of you who read this!). The code word we used was Naked. We got lots of funny looks when during the scenarios when the DMs and AIs started yelling, "Naked Diver!" and "I'm naked!".

Congrats on your new cert. It sounds like you had fun too!

The emphasis is on stress, because if we recognize the stress and deal with it it doesn't turn into PANIC.

Tavi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom