Bucket list trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cubbiegirlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hope this is ok but I posted this in the general travel discussion forum and thought I'd link it here because I have a lot of questions about Indonesia and I thought some of you with experience there may be more likely to see it from this board. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Help me plan my bucket list trip...

Fire away with your questions & we will answer them to the best of our knowledge & experience.

It's interesting to see that you like the Nov 1-13, 2017 Banda/Raja Ampat (Sorong-Ambon) trip with La Galigo Liveaboard. That trip is the reverse trip of my trip, Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 (Ambon-Sorong). I worked with the owner, cruise director and a DM who knows a lot about Banda Sea, to put together the detail itinerary. Normally the boat will operate in Raja Ampat from October to April. So, to bring the boat to Ambon from Sorong for my trip, they set up the reverse itinerary.

This trip is pretty popular. This year may not be a good time to go to Banda Sea due to El Niño. Hopefully, next year would be better with La Niña for more the hammerheads to gather around in Banda Sea. Two other groups were tried to book my charter last week, more than a year away. So, I would book it early if I were you. If La Galigo is no longer available, I think it is still early enough to book other liveaboards that plan to go to similar passages, for example MV Samambaia.

Last edited:
Fire away with your questions & we will answer them to the best of our knowledge & experience.

It's interesting to see that you like the Nov 1-13, 2017 Banda/Raja Ampat (Sorong-Ambon) trip with La Galigo Liveaboard. That trip is the reverse trip of my trip, Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 (Ambon-Sorong). I worked with the owner, cruise director and a DM who knows a lot about Banda Sea, to put together the detail itinerary. Normally the boat will operate in Raja Ampat from October to April. So, to bring the boat to Ambon from Sorong for my trip, they set up the reverse itinerary.

This trip is pretty popular. This year may not be a good time to go to Banda Sea due to El Niño. Hopefully, next year would be better with La Niña for more the hammerheads to gather around in Banda Sea. Two other groups were tried to book my charter last week, more than a year away. So, I would book it early if I were you. If La Galigo is no longer available, I think it is still early enough to book other liveaboards that plan to go to similar passages, for example MV Samambaia.

Thanks for the response! It's interesting you mention that because I have now looked into the Samambaia and they have a trip that looks good as well. They've told me it's too early to confirm but it's very likely to. It's so hard booking liveaboards--sometimes they book up crazy far in advance and sometimes they are too far out to confirm! I am leading toward the Samambaia at this point though as they've told me that trip will be confirmed eventually.

If anyone has any advice on ISC in Indonesia I'd appreciate it. I've done further research and there are SO MANY OPTIONS. I've looked at two fish divers as well as Manta Rhei in Komodo. The 2017 schedules aren't out yet, but I'm keeping an eye out. I know it's way too far in advance to worry about that, but that will likely determine my flight out there, so I'm trying to keep an eye on all my options in advance. I have a ton of FF miles and by booking way in advance I may be able to swing a business saver award! Totally worth 80K miles to actually have a comfy seat!!!

Thanks for the response! It's interesting you mention that because I have now looked into the Samambaia and they have a trip that looks good as well. They've told me it's too early to confirm but it's very likely to. It's so hard booking liveaboards--sometimes they book up crazy far in advance and sometimes they are too far out to confirm! I am leading toward the Samambaia at this point though as they've told me that trip will be confirmed eventually.

If anyone has any advice on ISC in Indonesia I'd appreciate it. I've done further research and there are SO MANY OPTIONS. I've looked at two fish divers as well as Manta Rhei in Komodo. The 2017 schedules aren't out yet, but I'm keeping an eye out. I know it's way too far in advance to worry about that, but that will likely determine my flight out there, so I'm trying to keep an eye on all my options in advance. I have a ton of FF miles and by booking way in advance I may be able to swing a business saver award! Totally worth 80K miles to actually have a comfy seat!!!

Apologies for bumping a dead thread, but this is literally the only time Samambaia has even been mentioned on here, and I'm strongly considering them for a RA trip next March. That boat looks incredible. Did you end up using them? If so, how was it? Also, how many did they require to confirm, and how far out did that happen? I'm planning on using miles for my flights, so I don't want to wait terribly long to book those or the award seat availability may disappear.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I found buried in their website that all trips require 4 passengers. Though, four of their next five trips have less than four people booked so far (5, 2, 2, 0, 2). That would make me nervous as hell considering the amount of planning and non-refundable flights involved.

Last edited:
I should also be nervous if i booked a place on a live aboard, and there are not enough customers. i always book a spot on a busy live aboard. Just paying maybe a bit more, but be sure that i will go.

If La Galigo is no longer available, I think it is still early enough to book other liveaboards that plan to go to similar passages, for example MV Samambaia.

Hello Dan,

Have you been on the MV Samambaia? How many steps from the dive deck to the tender? And how easy it is to get in the tender? Same questions for La Galigo. I am old...

Thanks,

Bill

Hello Dan,

Have you been on the MV Samambaia? How many steps from the dive deck to the tender? And how easy it is to get in the tender? Same questions for La Galigo. I am old...

Thanks,

Bill

Judging by the Samambaia pictures, you go down stairs along the side of the boat to the tender (maybe 10-12 stairs or so), then gear up in the speed boat. I'm sure they either normally, or can have, your gear waiting for you in the speed boat at the bottom of the stairs. Easy peasy!

I should also be nervous if i booked a place on a live aboard, and there are not enough customers. i always book a spot on a busy live aboard. Just paying maybe a bit more, but be sure that i will go.

I contacted them about my concerns and they reassured me that it shouldn't be an issue, and that they have yet to cancel a trip. Also, to keep in mind that it's a new boat, so it hasn't been getting a ton of attention as of yet. She's a beauty, though, so I expect that to change soon.

Hello Dan,

Thanks,

Bill

No I have not. I went with La Galigo. I mentioned Samambaia just because it seems to have similar Phinisi boat configuration & Ambon-Sorong passage as La Galigo.

As far as how many steps from the dive deck to tender, La Galigo has only 4 steps & you don't have to go down stairs with your tank on.

The stairs are also not steep. See the picture, below. That is one thing I look for in liveaboard after falling from a steep stair & broke my knee cap in another liveaboard, 2 years ago.

IMG_5438.jpg

I think I donned my BCD while sitting in tender & doffed it in the water after each dive, before climbing back on the tender. Like Pillpusher says, easy peasy. I wish all liveaboard diving operations doing this kind of service.

Last edited:
As far as how many steps from the dive deck to tender, La Galigo has only 4 steps & you don't have to go down stairs with your tank on.

The stairs are also not steep. See the picture, below. That is one thing I look for in liveaboard after falling from a steep stair & broke my knee cap in another liveaboard, 2 years ago.

Yeah man, that is EXACTLY what I mean! "Easy-peasy" when you're 40 or 50 is not easy-peasy when you're 66 ! Those details MATTER.

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom