Buddy Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nailer, that was one of the things that bothered me after I got certified. Even doing my AOW dives with an instructor, nobody did buddy checks. But you know what? Two eyes, and two brains, ARE better than one, and even experienced people with careful routines make mistakes. I've caught (or had others catch) unfastened dry suit hoses, unhooked-up inflator hoses, misplaced secondaries, backup lights that are on . . . All minor if caught and corrected, all more of a PITA to correct underwater.

TSandM:
Nailer, that was one of the things that bothered me after I got certified. Even doing my AOW dives with an instructor, nobody did buddy checks. But you know what? Two eyes, and two brains, ARE better than one, and even experienced people with careful routines make mistakes. I've caught (or had others catch) unfastened dry suit hoses, unhooked-up inflator hoses, misplaced secondaries, backup lights that are on . . . All minor if caught and corrected, all more of a PITA to correct underwater.

Oh, I agree. Way better to catch them standing up in hip deep water than at 100 fsw. I've caught a few things, and so have my buddies. But, I guess what I'm saying, is that we did it with a cursory once-over, not a formal "BWRAF" thingie.

TSandM:

I start my 'buddy checks' as I watch people suit up. I usually keep an eye on them as they do it and have caught things that way. As I walk to the entry point I give myself another 'once over'

I still hate people fiddling with my air and tend to ask them to keep their hands off my valve :)

my wife pointed out that it (BWRAF) really stood for "Better With Ralph And Frank". Now I have to look at her with new eyes wondering where THAT came from.

Inquiring minds want to know.:Kissy:

Back
Top Bottom