Buddy Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy diving in many cases today from what I have personally witnessed is not taught. It is given lip service by instructors who then demonstrate in no uncertain terms that it is optional and not important.

Ever see new OW divers single file on checkouts? Instructor just told them the buddy system is horsecrap and he/she does not believe in it. He may not have said it with words but he clearly showed them.

Were you clearly paired with a buddy in your OW pool sessions and told no matter what you stick with them? If not then the instructor again just told you he doesn't see the value in the system.

Did he/she go over how important positioning is in relation to your buddy and where you should be? No? Well, well, well, seems again he/she showed it's not important.

Did they go over how to communicate effectively about the dive on the surface and under it? When that communication should begin?(here's a hint - it's not at the dive site) No? Damn, they left that out as well.

No wonder we see herds diving behind a shepherd and being prodded and corralled by wranglers (DM's) to keep the wolves from stealing the lambs. Of course it's not all their fault, Most were never taught how to teach buddy diving. Selling the next course that someone is in no way ready for was more important for them to learn.

So what exactly were you taught by the diver you met on your Blackbeard trip?
Well, it didn't start off as a lesson. His buddy and mine decided to sleep in. So we were both just looking a buddy. We get paired up, a make some small talk and then he started the make the dive plan by asking me if I wanted to lead the dive. Being some what arrogant I said sure after all I was getting close to fifty dives and had done the work to get AOW and MSD wasn't far behind.

Then he asked something I hadn't been asked before "which side do I prefer my buddy to be on". My stupid answer was "why do you ask". That's when he saw right through me and explained that the way he prefer to dive was to have the non lead diver at the same depth, no more than one fin stroke away if the vis allowed, and the non leads head level with leads shoulder or bicep. This way the lead can see the non lead diver with a simple turn of his head and the non lead would have the lead in their peripheral vision.

I later found out he was a NAUI instructor.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

Buddy diving in many cases today from what I have personally witnessed is not taught. It is given lip service by instructors who then demonstrate in no uncertain terms that it is optional and not important.

Ever see new OW divers single file on checkouts? Instructor just told them the buddy system is horsecrap and he/she does not believe in it. He may not have said it with words but he clearly showed them.

Were you clearly paired with a buddy in your OW pool sessions and told no matter what you stick with them? If not then the instructor again just told you he doesn't see the value in the system.

Did he/she go over how important positioning is in relation to your buddy and where you should be? No? Well, well, well, seems again he/she showed it's not important.

Did they go over how to communicate effectively about the dive on the surface and under it? When that communication should begin?(here's a hint - it's not at the dive site) No? Damn, they left that out as well.

No wonder we see herds diving behind a shepherd and being prodded and corralled by wranglers (DM's) to keep the wolves from stealing the lambs. Of course it's not all their fault, Most were never taught how to teach buddy diving. Selling the next course that someone is in no way ready for was more important for them to learn.
This is what I was wondering.

Last edited:
It is something I am still learning. As I have done dives with different much more experienced divers they have all made comments on my diving. One was calm down, don't hurry all over the place, specially as the people you are diving with are in twin and dry suits. Which was pretty valid on that point as we had lost our third team member to a feet first ascent from about 5 metres as we moved up the wall. They taught me to take into account everyone's gear and manoeuvrability.

Just this past Sunday I was diving with a group of re-breather divers (And no they didn't try to kill me! The internet has lied to me about those mysterious yellow boxes). On our back towards the shore I positioned myself in the middle, to the side and a little above. The problem with doing this is if we are all in trim, and I don't have a light then it would be hard for the other divers to turn and see me, luckily I was making a fair racket with all the bubbles :p

In my OW class.

By the way, I have never heard the term "lead buddy." I don't think they teach that in the PADI curriculum. As far as I have been taught, the default is that buddies share duties equally. Of course, buddies can agree with each other to any other duties or responsibilities they wish. But the term "lead buddy" is new to me.

The lead buddy is just the forward most diver in the direction of travel. The non lead diver takes up a position at the same depth as the lead with the top of their head at the leads shoulder or bicep. This allows both divers to see each easily. Both diver are responsible for navigation, deco, following the dive plan, critter finding (if that's what your up to) and etc.

The diver that taught me was a NAUI diver, so maybe it's NAUI term.

The lead diver is the one who is setting the pace and direction. Where the others are located with respect to the leader is dependent on dive geometry.

If you are diving along a wall, or the hull of a wreck, the lead diver may be in front. In those circumstances, you have to figure out how the divers behind can communicate their positions and condition to the leader. In low viz or dark water, lights will make that easy. In clear, sunlit water, you may have to stay very close together and check on one another very frequently to be sure everybody is where they ought to be.

If you are diving over a nondescript or variable bottom, a shoulder-to-shoulder or chevron formation may work. If you are using the chevron, again, you need a way for the divers who have dropped behind to communicate their location and condition to the leader. Bright dive lights are useful in low viz or dark water. Clear water is more of a challenge.

In general, keeping a team together in low viz or the dark is easy -- it's done with lights. Keeping one together in bright, clear, sunlit water is MUCH harder, and generally requires attention to keeping separation distances fairly small. This is precisely the opposite of the way most people dive.

The lead diver is the one who is setting the pace and direction. Where the others are located with respect to the leader is dependent on dive geometry.

If you are diving along a wall, or the hull of a wreck, the lead diver may be in front. In those circumstances, you have to figure out how the divers behind can communicate their positions and condition to the leader. In low viz or dark water, lights will make that easy. In clear, sunlit water, you may have to stay very close together and check on one another very frequently to be sure everybody is where they ought to be.

If you are diving over a nondescript or variable bottom, a shoulder-to-shoulder or chevron formation may work. If you are using the chevron, again, you need a way for the divers who have dropped behind to communicate their location and condition to the leader. Bright dive lights are useful in low viz or dark water. Clear water is more of a challenge.

In general, keeping a team together in low viz or the dark is easy -- it's done with lights. Keeping one together in bright, clear, sunlit water is MUCH harder, and generally requires attention to keeping separation distances fairly small. This is precisely the opposite of the way most people dive.

i'll defer to TSandM

To be honest, I can't recall what was covered in OW class re buddy diving. On the checkout dives we do, buddy teams are assigned, with all buddy duos as a group going to and from the buoy. Instructor leads, DM in rear. After certification I hooked up with another newbie and we figured out procedures. He moved a few years later, thus my solo diving began.

The lead buddy is just the forward most diver in the direction of travel. The non lead diver takes up a position at the same depth as the lead with the top of their head at the leads shoulder or bicep. This allows both divers to see each easily. Both diver are responsible for navigation, deco, following the dive plan, critter finding (if that's what your up to) and etc.

The diver that taught me was a NAUI diver, so maybe it's NAUI term.

If you are diving along a wall, or the hull of a wreck, the lead diver may be in front. . . .

Okay, that's what I figured. My buddy and I generally discuss who will be in the lead, and we position ourselves as described. I've just never been taught it by anyone--it seemed like the natural thing to do.

Second dive with my 15 yr old son after he got his advanced cert. First dive felt like my head was on a swivel, "where is he? Where is he? Where is he?" (He was about 5ft from me just above my shoulder) After the "Mom moment", the second dive was great, not too close, not too far, communication, mutual gauge checking and each of us allowing each other the time to go look at stuff that caught our eye.

I learned it from insta-buddies, which I think teaches one faster than having a 'regular' buddy. Most were pretty good buddies, but some were "better". I learned from them, and learned "don't do this" from the not-so-good ones. Gradually I became better.

But for me it was Rescue class that taught me what being a buddy really means. I understood from the practical drills and scenarios that I'd been a bit casual about "buddyship" and needed to be more attentive, and look for that same level of attentiveness in a new buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom