Buddy Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the 60s we only had one set of gear to share and the only "instruction" we received was "never hold your breath." When I finally got certified in 1969, we were taught buddy diving and skills. Still did most of my diving solo for a variety of reasons but buddying up was always the recommended approach. To this day (after 50+ years of diving), my old friend Jean-Michel Cousteau still shudders at the thought of me solo diving.

Buddy diving and self-reliance was taught in my 1962 Scuba class, long before OW existed. Everyone learned to buddy-breathe since there were no octos and most regulators were double hose. It was understood that buddy teams would get separated when vis was low, the surge was up, and the kelp was thick… duh.

I was in a four-week Navy Scuba class eight years later. They didn’t teach anything about how to be stay together, nor was it necessary. The rule was simple. They had these 4' long pieces of die-lock anchor chain with links that were 3-4" wide. If they catch you separated from your buddy anytime during the work day by more than arm’s length the team had to carry the chain as a reminder. They only grace time was in the head, in-water training, and when class was out for lunch. It did include runs, calisthenics, and classroom. We figured everything out we needed to know about keeping track of each other all by ourselves.

I notice that many people have answered as I would: I was taught it in my open water class and I really learned it during the first couple years when someone more experienced (in my case many older, more experienced club divers) would focus my attention on the matter and point out my mistakes any time my "buddying" wasn't what it should be. Criticism is good, very helpful. NOTE: Shutting up and listening carefully when criticized is also good, also very helpful ;-)

A very effective means of learning to always stay close to your buddy can also be a tech instructor who gives you the "you are out of air" signal every time you let your buddy get too far away. Not huge fun, but very effective.

Back
Top Bottom