Buddy Keeps Kicking Me in the FACE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

74* would be heaven for us northern divers... The lakes I dive in the summer only get a surface temp in the high 60* and it's in the low 40* below the " FIRST " thermocline....

Jim.....

Spear fishing with scuba equipment is my problem, reminds me of a certain dentist, you know stacking the odds so much in your favor that there's no challenge, skill or discipline.
I have a personal opinion about spearguns and scuba (I don't like that particular combo), and the comments in this thread have already explained why. It's a safety thing. Which is why I only dive with buddies who use a pole spear and avoid those who use spearguns.

But "stacking the odds"? Huh? What about scalloping? Or picking crabs or - if legal - lobsters? How do you make that "sporting"?
This "sporting" attitude to killing stuff that you're going to take home to eat is - IMNSHO - crap. When you're in a situation to make the kill, you should make every effort possible to ensure that you're actually going to kill, not just maim. When I hunt grouse, I have no problem with shooting a bird on the ground. It's a safer shot and less likely to lead to a wounded animal getting away to die slowly and painfully. If you're going to kill something to eat it, the only concern should be whether the harvest is sustainable, not endangering the species and is unlikely to lead to unnecessary suffering. Anything else is plain and unadulterated snobbery.

I have a personal opinion about spearguns and scuba............I have no problem with shooting a bird on the ground...........Anything else is plain and unadulterated snobbery.

OK....I have just an opposite opinion, so I guess that I am an unadulterated snob. I was sorting hoping to be an adulterated snob.
So you shoot birds on the ground?
Do you use a headlight to shine deer or rabbits too? It might be illegal, but you are much more likely to get a kill that way.

Often times when there is a spearfishing video on this board, someone complains about it. Either it is "not right" for them or downright offensive to them. They are entitled to that opinion.

I enjoy harvesting fish with a speargun more than top-water fishing with a hook and line. I don't see anything wrong with it. I hope it's OK if I have that opinion.

So you shoot birds on the ground?
Yes. I said so, didn't I?

Do you use a headlight to shine deer or rabbits too? It might be illegal, but you are much more likely to get a kill that way.
It's very much illegal, so: no. I don't. Besides, driving around on country roads trying to fix an animal in the headlights isn't hunting. Tracking, learning the animal's behavior and trying to get close enough for a clean and safe kill is.

However, if a deer is standing still, broad side at me, at 50m, I don't feel any particular urge to get it running to make the shot more "sporting". When it's time to pull the trigger, the hunt is over and my primary concern is to ensure a clean kill with the lowest risk of just maiming the animal. To me, that follows naturally from my wish to harvest and hunt as humanely and sustainable as possible.

Spearfishing is the DIR of fishing techniques... low bycatch, low impact to environment. :D

I am curious what you saw that would prompt comments about a "balanced rig"?

so if everyone who currently eats fish went out to their local reef and went spear fishing with scuba gear you think there would be many reef fish left?

i believe the only sustainable way of fishing tuna at the moment is pole and line.

I have a personal opinion about spearguns and scuba (I don't like that particular combo), and the comments in this thread have already explained why. It's a safety thing. Which is why I only dive with buddies who use a pole spear and avoid those who use spearguns.

But "stacking the odds"? Huh? What about scalloping? Or picking crabs or - if legal - lobsters? How do you make that "sporting"?
This "sporting" attitude to killing stuff that you're going to take home to eat is - IMNSHO - crap. When you're in a situation to make the kill, you should make every effort possible to ensure that you're actually going to kill, not just maim. When I hunt grouse, I have no problem with shooting a bird on the ground. It's a safer shot and less likely to lead to a wounded animal getting away to die slowly and painfully. If you're going to kill something to eat it, the only concern should be whether the harvest is sustainable, not endangering the species and is unlikely to lead to unnecessary suffering. Anything else is plain and unadulterated snobbery.

shooting birds on the ground is a can i don't want to open.

you guys still kicking this dead dog...

Back
Top Bottom