Budget Diver, Looking for Budget Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

First time user here and I am looking for budget recommendations for dive destinations primarily in the caribbean (though I would consider elsewhere).I am a grad student that saves up for one dive vacation each year and want to hear what scubaboard thinks. I've done Roatan and Caye Caulker, Belize and loved both of these destinations - the diving, the food, the 'backpacking' vibe, and the value. However I am hoping to check out a new stop that shares the laid back vibe and excellent diving without braking the bank. I've looked into Bonaire but airfare from Minnesota is ridiculous ($1,800 from what I can find). Cozumel seems like another obvious choice but from what I hear it's crowded, loud and dirty.

I plan to spend 8-10 days somewhere and dive once a day. Any advice appreciated.

Sean

Only one dive a day? What do you plan to do the rest of the day?

I would shop around a little more for the airfare to Bonaire, you should be able to find something half as much as $1,800 if you look hard enough. What is your total budget for your trip including airfare?

south florida or a blackbeards liveaboard could also work for you

google flights has a 900 dollar RT from MSP to BON with an overnight stop at EWR on the way out and a long layover at IAH on the way back. leave msp at 7:15 pm Feb 24, overnight in EWR, arrive 2:30 pm sat in bonaire. return 8:30 am from bonaire Mar 5, layover in IAH for 8 hours, arrive in MSP at 10:55 pm.

I would be aiming for 4 dives a day to fit in somewhere around 25+ dives in that week over 6 diving days.

Thanks guys. Could you guys describe your topside experience in Bonaire - food, culture, etc.

Also I will be traveling in May. The $1,800 estimate is for May but will likely drop.

Only one dive a day? What do you plan to do the rest of the day?
Probably two dives a day but I am not opposed to take a day off and do other activities. For example I was playing around with going to Tulum to dive, explore ruins, hike in rainforest, etc.

Hi Sean.

Don't overlook the many free or nearly-free diving opportunities right here. I go to Lac Lavon ($free) in Apple Valley often, because it's the closest diving for me. Perch Lake ($8 to park, near Hudson, Wisconsin) is a little farther but the clarity is better and it's a nicer setting topside. Then there are the Lake Superior wrecks -- the Madiera ($6 to park) and Hesper ($free) are accessible from shore. And the lakes in the Brainerd area ($free). And some lakes not known for diving but that are clear and potentially fantastic, like Lake of the Woods or Vermillion, $free but you need a boat. Or you can drive to Lake Wazee (2 hours east on I-94, $6 per person or something like that). There are others.

Thanks guys. Could you guys describe your topside experience in Bonaire - food, culture, etc.

Also I will be traveling in May. The $1,800 estimate is for May but will likely drop.
Last I was there there isn't much to do other than dive or lie on the beach. There was a bookstore in town, everything was in Dutch. The park at the end is worth going through if you have time. There was a wide array of restaurants, some very good, but that was long enough now that they have probably changed.

You might look at Aruba or Curaçao too. The diving isn't supposed to be as good (but still good), but they have a lot more things to do. And Aruba is about 1/2 the price for airfare from MSP, Curaçao is somewhat more than half.

I suggest you try a south Florida road-trip (or you can fly and rent a car). Spend 2-3 days between Jupiter and Miami, take a few dive charters (or shore dives), and shore dive the Blue Heron Bridge. Then drive down to Key Largo, stay at the Key West Inn and dive with Rainbow Reef. Package deal for 6 nights plus 7 days of diving for $840. Alternatively, you can make your own package (VRBO or Air-bnb plus any of the great dive ops). If you are really on a budget, buy/cook your own food.

A week at Scuba Club Cozumel is the next closest option, in my mind.

I was recently in Cozumel and noticed a new scuba hostel, I forget the name of it but it looked impressive and it was full of young people & students. This might be budget friendly for you? If i was younger I would have checked it out.I think it was on Calle 2 or 4 in San Miguel ? As a bonus Cozumel has some of the very best diving.see if you can find it on Google.

Back
Top Bottom