Budgeting for DM internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I made the decision long ago that I was going to do a DM intership in Roatan. The time when I WANT to go is quickly approaching with nothing booked yet in terms of flights or courses or anything.

Whats currently holding me back is $. I would like to stay in Roatan for 3 months and get the most of my experience.

The cost of the course I can budget and reseach easily.
The flight is taken care of.
The variables come from accomodations+food.(and other cost of living things). How much would you budget for a 3 month stay (in US dollars)? Prices on accomodations seem to vary from dirt cheap, to more than I pay here at home. The common theme seems to be "go cheap" for a few days and find somewhere nice on the island. I like that idea, except I need to make sure I have the money budgeted.

Any approximations or ideas or places to stay in the West end for 3 months would be great.

J.

OK, So you made the decision a long time ago and i am all for Roatan for your quest and believe you can find temporary happiness in West End or at Coco view as RoatanMan mentioned. Maybe a more serious note is WHY? Are you looking to move away from your local area and think you will make a living as a DM? If you plan on being a DM for your local shop then wouldn't they appreciate you going through them?
If you do not seek work as a DM then why spend the money, have you looked at insurance recently? Just a few things to consider and if your doing a PADI course then it would be silly to only do DM and Not AI as that opens at least a few more doors but heck, a couple weeks more and your then an OWSI so why stop at AI, Why not spend a little more time and become an instructore, only takes a little longer than DM

Maybe a more serious note is WHY? Further my dive experience, see if I want to try to make a go at something more serious.

Are you looking to move away from your local area and think you will make a living as a DM?
Yes, No

If you plan on being a DM for your local shop then wouldn't they appreciate you going through them? Not much in terms of diving where I live.

If you do not seek work as a DM then why spend the money, have you looked at insurance recently? Again with the experiencing things in life

Just a few things to consider and if your doing a PADI course then it would be silly to only do DM and Not AI as that opens at least a few more doors but heck, a couple weeks more and your then an OWSI so why stop at AI, Why not spend a little more time and become an instructore, only takes a little longer than DM. I want to do this now and don't have the savings to go all the way. I also dont want to commit and then find out that maybe I dont want to make a living underwater and want to keep my recreation as just that.

J, I recently (2008) did my DM course. I wasn't either looking for a career change or to do this professionally. And am still not. But it did further my diving knowledge considerably and was a great experience!:coffee: It's a great course, even for those not looking to turn pro!:coffee: Obviously, it's a lot of money for a certification you are not going to use... But for me it was worth it! And in your case, who knows? Maybe you'll decide to become a dive-bum!:D

Cheers!

Maybe a more serious note is WHY? Further my dive experience, see if I want to try to make a go at something more serious.

Are you looking to move away from your local area and think you will make a living as a DM?
Yes, No

If you plan on being a DM for your local shop then wouldn't they appreciate you going through them? Not much in terms of diving where I live.

If you do not seek work as a DM then why spend the money, have you looked at insurance recently? Again with the experiencing things in life

Just a few things to consider and if your doing a PADI course then it would be silly to only do DM and Not AI as that opens at least a few more doors but heck, a couple weeks more and your then an OWSI so why stop at AI, Why not spend a little more time and become an instructore, only takes a little longer than DM. I want to do this now and don't have the savings to go all the way. I also dont want to commit and then find out that maybe I dont want to make a living underwater and want to keep my recreation as just that.

Yes a lot of people just do the DM course because its great fun and the cheapest way to get in a load of dives. Also if you want to go live in a place like Roatan for a few months, doing the DM is a great way to get an instant social circle around you.

As for prices, most DMTs spend between $200 and $400 on rent. Eating out can be expensive, it can also be very cheap. The honduran staple Baliadas make a great lunch and breakfast and cost less than $2, a decent hamburger on the other side will cost probably double what you spend in the US.

I tend to eat at home spending on average $3-4 a meal, but then again, I pride myself on my cooking abilities and have a fiancee who is probably even better in the kitchen. A $8 pack of chicken combined with $5 on Veg will easily feed us for three nights and provide a nicely balanced diet.

The guys at coconut tree will usually cook as a group in someones house 2-3 times a week with everyone pitching in $5 10-20 people can eat like kings!

Beer costs between $1 and $2 depending on where you drink.

Hope that helps.

Will

hey J spot, good for you for wanting to further your dive experience, and by doing it in west end you will quickly find that the atmosphere and the level of experience in most of the dive shops will suit your needs.... In coconut tree divers we have Dive master trainee's from all corners of the world and hold at the moment 5 of them, and usually float around 8 to 10 at the shop in the busy season. Their duties consist of assisting open water, advanced, rescue, multiple specialty courses, help out with IDC's and I utilize them as support divers and surface support for my tec courses. I know your question wasn't asking about the shops and duties as a DMT, I just want to clarify that no matter where you end up you'll have a great time doing it, and who knows maybe you'll like it so much we will see you as an instructor. Don't let RTB and his mumbo-jumbo dissuade you....

Like bay island diver said there are many ways to budget in west end, all depending on your lifestyle. Every Saturday we have Hockey Night in Canada playing in Sundowners, and most definitly will be watching the World Junior's at x-mas and the Olympics after the new year. As long as your a FLAMES fan!!!!!!

no matter where you end up you'll have a great time doing it, and who knows maybe you'll like it so much we will see you as an instructor. Don't let RTB and his mumbo-jumbo dissuade you....

J - If you were my son (and I have 3 of them, all divers), I'd tell you not to let anyone discourage you (or ask you questions that are none of their business)! Doing your DM course in Roatan is a fantastic idea -- even if you never use the training. You'll be living in Paradise, making many new friends, broadening your horizons -- all while doing what you love to do! Get out of the snow and come down where it's warm! :D

Sorry if it came off as trying to dissuade you from the course and you can certainly get a lot of diving in if a three month adventure is what you seek, I just have seen so many that think its great to be a diving pro and in the beginning it is for most but it is a big expense that does carry rewards yet very litle financially in most places. I never divemastered or taught in Roatan, maybe it is different.
Sorry for the confusion

If you want to stay down there a long time and use the DM course to get many dives, I think Utila is a better option because the cost of living is lower. Basically, what Will Welbourne says is how it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom