Bugs and malaria on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I searched and didn't find any posts mentioning anti-malaria rugs since 2020, so I'm wondering if anybody has any more current information on the bug situation in Rotan? And weather antimlarial drugs are really needed? I'll be there in mid june.

According to the CDC, Roatan is considered to be a malaria transmission zone, and anti-malarial prophylaxis is recommended. (Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, mefloquine, tafenoquine)

Gin & tonics in prodigious quantities?

I searched and didn't find any posts mentioning anti-malaria rugs since 2020, so I'm wondering if anybody has any more current information on the bug situation in Rotan? And weather antimlarial drugs are really needed? I'll be there in mid june.
I doubt much has changed with time. The numerous pre-2020 threads have various points of view. The first time I visited Roatan, I hadn't done any research, so I just winged it. The next trip, in 2013 or so, I had read the SB threads galore, and took some prophylaxis meds (but really, the no-see-ums/sand flies were the greater concern for me). Last year (2023) was my third trip, and I did little planning for the trip and had totally forgotten about the malaria issue, so I took no precautions. I think it depends where on Roatan you are going, etc. Resorts may take measures to keep the skeeters in check. If you're out and about, who knows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom