build your own uw photo course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave auto settings alone and teach them to shoot in manual so that they may manipulate the camera instead of the camera manipulating them.
I think all new comers (land or underwater) need a good grasp of the interplay between shutter speed, aperture, and depth of field. They need a good grasp of the concept that there are many shutter speed/aperture settings that will yield the same exposure. Which one is correct for any given shot will be determined by that particular shot, for instance, if you wanted a great depth field, or if you wanted to take advantage of ambient light or just strobe, fast moving subject vs slow. These are but a few of the nuts and bolts that will turn a snapshot into a photograph.

Marriard:
Firstly it is all about exposure to start with. And it doesn't have to be underwater either.

The most effective photography class I ever had never even involved the water and concentrated almost exclusively on exposure.

I am still amazed that people who struggle to take average images of the family pet or decent beach scene believe that they are going to take masterpieces underwater where taking photos is infinitely more difficult.

After this, THEN it is lighting. You want to get to the level where you feel like you are placing your strobes/flashes to 'paint' the scene - rather than just simply 'lighting' the scene.

When you truly start to understand exposure and then lighting you start reducing the amount of luck you need to take a shot.

If you still have time then move onto compusure. There are some reasonable guidelines for taking good images (such as 'rule of thirds', 'center of attention', 'leading lines', etc, etc), but it is even more fun to break the rules to create your images. Achieveing an 'effect' you were intentionally looking for is extremely satisfying.

M

Well said. I finally found this out early during my bali trip and really believe only now am I starting to make pictures. Teaching proper use of Wide Angles is a good way to learn about light in underwater scenes.

For a resort course, I would want to learn the general concepts of photography with specific examples using my camera. Since most everyone will be shooting digital the class can be customized to immediate feedback as you go over the various aspects. Have everyone shoot the still life while changing aperture, shutter speed, strobe placement, etc. to see the changes each has. End the class with fun dive or 2 followed by shot critique.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom