Building a free online diving log - need input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoping to have some functionality to play around with for those interested in beta testing within 2 weeks :) ... the browser plugin isn't finished yet so you will have to manually add some dives for the time being but it's looking hopeful to have that ability within the next 2 weeks.

Jason

i would love to help beta test if you need it.

working on a private message system and buddy finder feature tonight ... too bad Caribou is closed :(

Almost done with a primitive messaging system. For those of you beta testing it will be available under quick links when you log in.

---------- Post Merged on October 20th, 2012 at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was on October 19th, 2012 at 06:37 PM ----------

I have been able to configure, and implement libdivecomputer to pull data from the DC and return an XML file with data for all the dives. Starting work soon on the browser plugin that will incorporate this library to pull dive data from the DC into the site.

Here's what I'm thinking of for the upload process:

1) click upload from DC on site
2) choose settings (DC brand/model, Starting dive number (your # for logged dive) for the import)
3) set DC into transfer mode
4) click upload
5) display to user a list of the dives from the DC and allow them to select which ones to import into site
6) click sync to site and selected dives for import will be loaded into logged dives for that user

Any questions or suggestions?

J

I have built a function for to import dive data and will be ready to test and let users start uploading data.

I'm going to put a link under "Quick Links" called "Upload Dives (xml)"

unfortunately the guy who was working on the browser plugin part bailed on me and at the moment you will have to manually extract your dives from your computer and save to a file, then upload that file.

The functionality to do this will be done in the next couple of days. Currently I have a Linux and Windows version of the downloader.

The steps would be something like:
  1. download the DC interface program
  2. (in a command window/shell) universal.exe -n "Suunto Vyper" -b vyper -d dives.xml COM3
  3. open the dives.xml file
  4. put "<dives>" on the first line of file
  5. put "</dives>" on the last line of the file
  6. save file
  7. goto the website and upload the file

If anyone is interested in helping beta test this part, let me know on here or PM.

Thanks,
Jason

Newest updates include:

• Added usernames - you can now log in using your username or email and password
  • Registration now facebook enabled to allow you to link accounts at registration and prepopulate registration fields.
  • Facebook linking done (you'll find a "Link Facebook" button under your "account" page click the button to link your fb account to enable dive log sharing.
  • Private messaging almost done
  • Links merged under username (top right of page)
    • messaging
    • account
  • ability to upload xml dive log almost complete
If you haven't already done so, please log in and add a username to your account by following this link AFTER logging in.

If you run into any problems PM me on here.

Thanks,
Jason

---------- Post Merged on October 29th, 2012 at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was on October 28th, 2012 at 04:56 PM ----------

Almost done with the logbook page and the ability to manually edit / log dives. Here's a screen shot. I have a few more areas to add such as buddies, equipment, etc... let me know if you see anything else missing that you think should be added.

Thanks,
Jason

BTW: Just passed 250 hours of work on the site so far :) hope it's going to be worth it lol

Online Scuba Diving Log 2012-10-29 18-36-40.jpg

Actually the main reason I started building it in the first place was because I couldn't find any "central" log site online and most of the ones I did find either charged or were very lacking in features and functionality.

Just wondering, did you find divelogs - Online Dive Logs during your research?
It neither charges nor lacks features. To name a few:
- 20+ logbook imports from all major DC manufacturers. Gets your complete logbook online in under a minute.
- Linking buddies ("buddy network")
- Google Maps, Pictures, Videos, Profile Graphs
- two PDF, eBook (epub), excel, Google Earth exports
- API for syncing with other software (Diving Log 5.0 is one that uses it)
- Can be public, password protected or completely private
- Search over all public logbooks by text or location (in a map)
- Currently over 3000 divers and over 270.000 dives logged, over 10.000 pictures, over 50.000 locations (maps)
- Edit your logbook online as if you were in Excel
- Available in 3 languages
- registered Divers from over 80 countries

...and quite a bit more

I don't want to stop your enthusiasm or even your development, but it's all already there...
just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom