Bunaken Advise needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Fish, I didn't know about Bastianos. I will have to look them up. Thanks.

We've visited Bunaken&Lembeh 4x all in Dec. Indeed, the trip to Bunaken was a bit choppy.
First we stayed at Tasik Ria, they operated big boat, not a big problem except took 1 hour journey. The second, we stayed at the island. third and fourth, we skipped Bunaken, not because weather; but we like lembeh more than Bunaken.

Wisnu,
We have never been to Bunaken so we hate to miss seeing the reef there just once. We like coral reef diving. What can you tell us about why you like Lembeh more? Is there much reef,wall diving in Lembeh? Or do most boats go muck diving on most dives? Where do you like to stay in Lembeh?

yeah check out bastianos, you really can't go wrong with them. they have a new resort in lembeh aswell so they can prob make you a package for both.
another good thing i found with them was i didnt have to plan how many dives i wanted to do at the begining you can just turn up at the given times if you want to dive... great place

Wisnu,
We have never been to Bunaken so we hate to miss seeing the reef there just once. We like coral reef diving. What can you tell us about why you like Lembeh more? Is there much reef,wall diving in Lembeh? Or do most boats go muck diving on most dives? Where do you like to stay in Lembeh?

ReneeDr
Don't get wrong - Bunaken is great diving sites; amazing walls, beautiful coral, clear water, pelagics, thousand of redtooth trigger fish, lazy drift to Superman fly. In fact, we saw orca at Manado bay from the boat.
First time, we spent 5 days at mainland and diving Bunaken incl. popoh. We really enjoyed our time. We didn't allocate our time for Lembeh as we're scarred by the term of muck diving, rubble, trash and garbage, poor viz, black sandy bottom ect.
However, in the airport, we met with a Norway couple who had spent 2 weeks in Lembeh and still want to comeback again.
The next trip, we allocate 3 days bunaken and 2 days Lembeh; and we're addicted with Lembeh.
On the next trips, we skipped Bunaken and spend all 5 days in Lembeh.
However, we miss Bunaken too - so on our next trip we plan to spend 2 days Bunaken and 5 days Lembeh.
Can't say Bunaken is better than Lembeh or otherwise. We (incl. my 10 years old daughter) just love Lembeh diving style, slow moving searching treasures. Lembeh mostly for muck diving but there's few site with beautiful corall and reef too such as california dreaming.
If you have uw camera; most likely you'll love Lembeh.
On our last trip, we're pampered by Kungkungan bay Resort - great operation but not cheap. On the previous trip, we also enjoyed staying at budget resort of 2fishdiver. Very basic accommodation but the diving still great.
There's several good reports of other resorts such as NAD, diver lodge, blacksand, lembeh resort but never been there.

Wisnu,
Thanks for the advise. We have now decided to stay in Bunaken this trip for the whole 10 nights, then next trip we will try Lembeh and Bangka. We decided to stay at Cha Cha resort on Bunaken. Now, we will just hope the rainy season begins "after" we leave. Going Dec 3-14th is our usual winter getaway time, so we probably could have a better trip if we could get away in August/September for this part of the world. I will post a detailed trip report here when we return so other divers can benefit from our experience. Thanks to everyone who posted on ScubaBoard. Dive enthusiasts are sure a friendly bunch!!!
Renee

Hello Renee,

sorry for delayed reply. Indeed I own, manage and live on the Divers Lodge Lembeh. I am sure you will have a great trip on Bunaken. But indeed Lembeh has much more to offer than only world best critter/muck diving. Specially the East side of Lembeh island can easily compete with Bunaken and Bangka. Best time for that November - April.

Also get a quote from Siladen Resort and Spa - has to be the nicest dive resort in the area - just very professional, very polished, better food than anywhere else - a fantastic location overlooking Bunaken and Manado Tua..lovely beach..great sunsets...great snorkelling at the house reef...just a perfect option. I've been there twice and have a group going back this September and plan to go back in 2012 again. May not be much more than Cha Cha ( I know as I looked at the price difference) - and you get the best beach barbecues and banquets anywhere.

I am off to Bunaken and Lembeh this Sunday. In a mail exchange with bigjeff, who dives there a lot, he suggested next time I go to Bangka as the water is clearer and there is everything that is in the straits. He suggested that if you are interested in macro life then Bunaken can get a little boring.

So next year it is Bangka no questions.

Lookup bigjeff's reports on the area they are excellent.

Just got back from Bunaken and Lembeh.

Would not go to Bunaken again as I have done lots of coral diving and I got a bit bored swimming on walls. The currents are a bit tricky as we were often swimming with the current then came up against it so turn around and swim back the way we came With the current - odd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom