Bunaken in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rwhiting

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning a trip to Sulawesi in April, and would like to stay at one of the resorts on Bunaken, but... I'm a real temperature wimp, that is - I usually like to have the option of AC available if it gets too hot ot humid. The operations I've read about on Bunaken itself mostly just offer fans. The prices are right, and diving is the #1 priority, but I'd like to hear opinions on Bunaken resorts in general, and whether anyone missed the AC, especially if you have experience with April conditions.
Thanks,
Rich

I'll be at Minahasa Lagoon Resort in late April after the ADEX show. I know the bungalows there are air conditioned.

http://www.minahasalagoon.com/sito/ing/home.html

I'll probably stop for a couple of nights on Bunaken Island if I can make the logistics work out, so I'm also interested in hearing feedback about Bastianos, Froggies, and Quest on Bunaken from any of you who have been there.

Stay and dive with Froggies; a GREAT operation with cool and imaculate bungalows on a hill right next to the beach. You do NOT need a room with AC when you stay with Froggies because their bungalows are on a shaded hill with lots of foliage and a nice sea breeze.
They offer an all-in deal (bungalow/diving/meals), have some excellent guides, bring O2 equipment on any daytrip dive, organize fun parties at night in their restaurant, they don't restrict your bottom times, will do all the rinsing and storing of your gear and will make sure your gear is already on the boat when you want to go diving.
They are a well run operation and I had a great time diving with them. Minahasa Lagoon is extremely nice and well run too but also very expensive.

Shiri went to Froggies last year and reported that it was very good. Not surprised that it was booked up - that speaks for itself.

Froggies (Christiane Muller) has been great friends for many years with Roel and Juud Dikkers now at Lumba Lumba who provide personalised high quality dive lodge - and an affordable price. They are Manado-side but have amazing diving at their jetty and obviously go across to Bunaken.

www.lumbalumbadiving.com

... You do NOT need a room with AC ..... because their bungalows are on a shaded hill with lots of foliage and a nice sea breeze ....

Do remember, however, that leaving windows open may allow the breeze in but they also allow in mosquitos and other unwelcome visitors. The use of mosquito nets may help but their very use restricts the effect of the breezes you rely on to keep you cool. Discomfort from the high humidity is also rarely overcome by mild breezes. Nothing beats AC for a good night's sleep (without the need for cumbersome mosquito nets) and respite from the heat/humidity during the day.

I make this point simply because I have had so many travel agents try to sell me non-airconditioned accommodation on assurances that there is always a cool breeze at night, that fans are just as effective, etc etc... , only for me to find out the hard way that they are frequently 'mistaken'.

Indeed! Frogies is a great place!
I have been there in October, and really - there is no need for AC.
The bungalows have mosquito nets and there is a fan too, that I didn't use it at all...
I'm not sure there is a resort with AC on Bunaken itself. Probably in Manado and Lembeh and also Minahasa Lagoon Resort, but it's expensive.
But anyway - most of the day you'll spend underwater, so AC is not really needed.
Have great time! North Sulawesi is a great place.

You could also look at M.C. Divebunaken
www.mcdivebunaken.com

It is a good and flexible diveresort on Bunaken Island
I have been there 3 times and i go again in may.
They have no airco, but the have good fans .

On their webpage are a lot of photo's of the resort.
They have renovated the resort for the last half year
It is a cosy resort under dutch management.
and the prices are reasonable.

greetings
Scubahar

Quero:
I'll be at Minahasa Lagoon Resort in late April after the ADEX show. I know the bungalows there are air conditioned.

http://www.minahasalagoon.com/sito/ing/home.html

I'll probably stop for a couple of nights on Bunaken Island if I can make the logistics work out, so I'm also interested in hearing feedback about Bastianos, Froggies, and Quest on Bunaken from any of you who have been there.

Better check what the actual situation at Minahasa Lagoon is. The resort has been partly destroyed after big floods hit Manado and surroundings between 13 and 19 February. According to my information they are going to rebuild the resort but that will certainly need time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom