Bunaken vs Lemebeh (or both?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Lembeh was truly muck diving, and I loved it. Were I to go back, I'd probably just go there, with maybe a side trip to Bangka Island. We had a lovely house reef packed with critters, but the muck diving was utterly fascinating: A world of camouflage and bizarre shapes and behaviors. Whatever you do, make sure you spend at least half your time there.
Now, I want to go back! :D
I agree with this option. I would recommend staying in Lembeh for the week. I spent 6 nights at KBR and 3 nights at Bunaken in August 2008. I wish I spent 9 nights at KBR instead. I was not that impressed with the wall diving in Bunaken. Yes, there is a opportunity for pelagics in Bunaken, but the muck is the way to go, IMHO.

Now, I want to go back! :D
I agree with this option. I would recommend staying in Lembeh for the week. I spent 6 nights at KBR and 3 nights at Bunaken in August 2008. I wish I spent 9 nights at KBR instead. I was not that impressed with the wall diving in Bunaken. Yes, there is a opportunity for pelagics in Bunaken, but the muck is the way to go, IMHO.

I wanna go back to Lembeh too! Maybe this July!

The diving at Lembeh is a bit obsessive on tiny things but it is incredibly cool. Last year went to Bunakan -- to Lembeh-- and Back to Bunakan. Steep walls and lots of blue water was expansive after the micro focus of Lembeh. Think If I had 7 days.. I'd dive non-stop at Lembeh for 4 days - travel to Bunakan in the AM on the 5th day- do a night dive, & wall dives the next morning (make sure to dive (Satchika (sp?) - then hang out on Bunakan to decompress for the flight.

wow...this sounds like an amazing trip....anyone know how the conditions are in mid-January? Planning a trip somewhere during that time.

In most of the guide books you will read that the rainy season on North Sulawesi is somewhere between November and April.
Monsoen often has been translated by rain. Although it means season or wind. In general we are having the North West monsoen from October until April and the South East monsoen from April until October. This so called dry season July brought more rain than the complete so called rainy season. Same happened in 2007.
Further: the Kema/Bitung/Lembeh coast of North Sulawesi is getting 60% less rain than Manado.
Finally, Lembeh offers wonderful coral gardens and excellent wrecks besides the famous muck sites. January diving at the ocean side of Lembeh Island is great.

Wakening up this thread... what about Bangka v/s Bunaken? We are planning 9-10 diving days in Sept. Def plan 5-6 days in Lembeh but want to check out at least one other area. We could do just a day trip or two to one of the other areas, but I figure we would do more justice to spend at least 4 days diving one of the other sides. Which to pick? I am the only photographer in the group, and I do plan on falling in love with Lembeh... I am going to try to get a couple extra days there as I am traveling seperate from my group.

You might consider Gangga Island. I did it about a year ago. It was great.

The nearby diving is good and the offer one or two trips per week to both Lembeh and Bunaken.

From November until April you cam make great early morning dives at the ocean side of Lembeh Island. Absolute calm sea, great viz and lots and lots of fish. Not many real big stuff however.
The North tip of Lembeh Island (Batu Kapal) offers adrenaline diving with big fish, great coralls and ...yes currents too. Not for the novice but as good as any best place in the world.
So, my idea. Just stay on Lembeh.

We recently did both but over 10 days. Since we love muck diving I would spend a little more time in Lembeh. But if you like nice reefs Bunaken has a lot to offer. We stayed at Minahasa Lagoon Resort to dive Bunaken. It was an hour by boat to the dive sites but when we moved to Lembeh we left in the morning and were diving by lunch. Trip reports, MultiMedia shows at our website.

We are def. staying in Lembeh, for at least 5 days of diving (two of us for at least 7). Question is should we spend the other 5 days in Bunaken or Bangka? Gangga is a pretty spendy place. We are trying to keep the price down... so we would need a NAD equivalent. Bunaken has more options I think, but we are more concerned with great diving than resort.

We have enough time to stay two places, and Lembeh is def. one of them, and I prefer not to do them all based from Lembeh as I want to give the second destination its justified time. I want to pick the second location more on the diving opportunities rather than the resort. We dont want to be high-current diving much, but from what I read you can pretty easily aviod that in either location. We are after lush coral I think a little more than big fish (although both would be great).

If you stay on Bunaken, you can ask your dive operator if they make any trips to Bangka. Because of the distance they may only go when they a minimum number of divers and charge a fuel surcharge. (as it is about an hour compared to the local dive sites which are just minutes)

Take long safety stops in Bunaken, as often you will see big fish near the surface, Napoleon wrasse can often be spotted from the boat. I have seen dolphins while underwater (with scuba) but that is very rare. Small groups of Tuna (just three or four) and big bump head parrot fish. Big turtles. Occasional sharks (usually down deep) and eagle rays.

A few years ago a baby Whale Shark (about a month old I was told) was seen off Bunaken. Very rare, But you never know.

From the shore you may see Dugongs (relative of the Manatee). While diving off Bunaken the guide from another group told our guide he had just seen a dugong underwater, but we did not see it.

There are several low cost options on Bunaken. Be sure to ask all dive operators what their polices are in terms of dive length (they use Aluminum 80s with yoke valves) and diver to guide ratio.

Two Fish Divers ( Dive Manado/Bunaken and Dive Lembeh with Two Fish Divers Bunaken) has several budget rooms (some with attached bathrooms and some without) in addition to stand alone cottages on Bunaken (they have a smaller operation on Lembeh) .

Some of the smaller operations that have several small boats may allow you to have you own boat and make your own schedule if you are in a small group (e.g. 6 or 8)

Do as many night dives as you can in Lembeh, its great fun.

Bring a small light for daytime use, as you will want to look into the crevices caves and under ledges on Bunaken's walls.

At night, do NOT walk barefoot. Bunaken is known to have millipedes and the bite is very painful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom