Bunaken vs Lemebeh (or both?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you stay on Bunaken, you can ask your dive operator if they make any trips to Bangka. Because of the distance they may only go when they a minimum number of divers and charge a fuel surcharge. (as it is about an hour compared to the local dive sites which are just minutes) In Bangka area keep an eye out for egg cowries, they have a pure white shell and a black mantle.

Take long safety stops in Bunaken, as often you will see big fish near the surface. Napoleon wrasse can often be spotted from the boat. I have seen dolphins while underwater (with scuba) but that is very rare. Small groups of Tuna (just three or four) and big bump head parrot fish. Big turtles. Occasional sharks and eagle rays deep down. You may see Blue spotted rays in little caves in the wall, look for the tail sticking out.

A few years ago a baby Whale Shark (about a month old I was told) was seen off Bunaken. Extremely rare, But you never know.

From the shore you may see Dugongs (relative of the Manatee). While diving off Bunaken the guide from another group told our guide he had just seen a dugong underwater, but we did not see it.

There are several low cost options on Bunaken. Be sure to ask all dive operators what their polices are in terms of dive length (most places in Indonesia use Aluminum 80s with yoke valves) and diver to guide ratio.

Two Fish Divers ( Dive Manado/Bunaken and Dive Lembeh with Two Fish Divers Bunaken) has several budget rooms (some with attached bathrooms and some without) in addition to stand alone cottages on Bunaken (they have a smaller operation on Lembeh) .

Some of the smaller operations that have several small boats may allow you to have you own boat and make your own schedule if you are in a small group (e.g. 6 or 8)

Do as many night dives as you can in Lembeh, its great fun.

Bring a small light for daytime use, as you will want to look into the crevices, caves and under ledges on Bunaken's walls. I also bring a small ordinary magnifying glass for getting a better look at the Pygmy Seahorse. And at the end of my trip I give it to my guide.

At night, do NOT walk barefoot. Bunaken is known to have millipedes and the bite is very painful.

Also pay attention to where you step getting on & off the boats at Bunaken. Depending on the tide you may have to walk to or from shore and there are sting rays, stone fish and even blue ringed octopus in the shallows. Also cowfish sometimes. Very cute.

You need to wear booties (usually the resort will have some old ones to loan you) walking to and from the boat. Sandals (even Tevas) are no good, there is a very strong mud that you walk through in some areas and it very hard to walk through with sandals.

Just returned from Bunaken & lembeh; we stayed at Two Fish Divers 14 - 19 dec. 2008, simple & basic accomodation but excelent operations. They arranged transfer from Bunaken to Lembeh efficiently, and we still had 2 dives that day with option the 3rd night dive.
If you have 7 days - you can split 2 or 3 days for Bunaken and 5 or 4 days for Lembeh.

I am doing a trip to Lembeh and Raja in November. I have an extra four days I need to fill so trying to decide between Bali-Tulamben and Gangga Island.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I am doing a trip to Lembeh and Raja in November. I have an extra four days I need to fill so trying to decide between Bali-Tulamben and Gangga Island.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
See my post in the other thread... In addition, Gangga is a close to Manado (you'll take a taxi and a short boat ride to get there), whereas you need to take a plane to get to Bali.

Back
Top Bottom