"Bungeed wings of death" Why ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) Wow in this post I found a lot of opinions and theories, some really interesting, I will surely continue to use my bungied wings, but I learned something, thx :)

....I am going to find the thread starter and make him eat his wings. I don't care what wings you use, but bungee wings don't make sense to me and neither do redundant bladders. Use what you want, I don't care.

It just doesn't seem to me that they provide any benefit, so what's the point? I carry a heavy halogen canister light on my right hip and like to have more air over there to counter it. With bungees, I couldn't do this...I would have to carry a deco bottle on every dive as a counter weight. They don't seem practical for the type of diving I do so I don't use them. A "plain old wing" works fine for me and with the possibility of the bungees snagging something or causing any of the aforementioned problems it makes it a no brainer for me...stay away from the bungees.

The use of the term "bungeed wings of death" is a scare tactic used by some to advance their agenda of ultra-conformity. Other terms (such as stroke) are also useful for creating an atmosphere of blind obedience to a particular regimen. Those who rely on reasoning (not emotion) for their gear configuration rarely resort to these names!
Who called who a stroke? Who is ultra-conformist? I hate those labels as much as you do...

O-ring once bubbled...
....I am going to find the thread starter and make him eat his wings. I don't care what wings you use, but bungee wings don't make sense to me and neither do redundant bladders. Use what you want, I don't care.

:eek: nothing personal for me I was just curious about the reason some people call this particular piece of equipment in that way... I surely don't wanted to start a mine-is-better-than-yours post.
I tought that maybe there was some good reason why some people call them that way, but I had the confirm there isn't, is just a matter of opinons and personal pref's.
As in many different things people have different opinions, and is nice to discuss them to share wiepoints and experiences... surely diving is a field where people have very strong opinons, and I found that in the most cases the more is the experience of the diver the stronger are the opinions... but are still opinions :wink:

I think you are right...a lot of the BWOD argument is opinion. I don't know anyone that has been killed by them and have only read anecdotes of body recoveries with bungee wings..then again, I have also read body recoveries with Halcyon wings..

Regardless of what wings you dive, you can die, so I guess it all comes down to what each of us decides makes sense. For me, a regular wing works great and I can see the bungees adding unneeded complexity and causing me trim problems.

Besides, I was half kidding about the wing eating thing...we have just had this argument many times before and nobody ever wins :) But...I would wager that a non-bungee wing would taste better than a bungee wing!

the funniest sight I ever saw was a diver with a canister light on her side... when she let down her guard and that right side dipped just a bit, the air would rush to the left and whip her on her side. She was trying to take a picture once when this happened... I laughed so hard at her trying to compensate with too little too late that I spit my reg out!

Reasons against... other than the bogus reasons of uncontrolled deflation/ snag/ and barotrauma while inflating... I see none!

Reasons for... Greater stability (no air shift). You can deflate in ANY attitude (It's slower yes, but that's all you usually need). Possibly less drag (though I have seen data both ways).

Reasons for a dual bladder... redundancy is best, redundancy is best. You now have both a redundant inflator, (one for each tank, if you have to isolate) and a redundant bladder (in case of catastrophic rip). Since the redundant hose is left disconnected, there is no problem with a runaway ascent from the right.

the funniest sight I ever saw was a diver with a canister light on her side... when she let down her guard and that right side dipped just a bit, the air would rush to the left and whip her on her side.
I hope you didn't train her...what a crappy diver.

She was trying to take a picture once when this happened...
That figures...most photographers I know are crappy divers.

Reasons for... Greater stability (no air shift). You can deflate in ANY attitude (It's slower yes, but that's all you usually need). Possibly less drag (though I have seen data both ways).

Reasons for a dual bladder... redundancy is best, redundancy is best. You now have both a redundant inflator, (one for each tank, if you have to isolate) and a redundant bladder (in case of catastrophic rip). Since the redundant hose is left disconnected, there is no problem with a runaway ascent from the right.
We covered these already...let's just agree to disagree and go dive our respective choice in wings. There is no winning this since you aren't going to convince me the bungees are better and I am not going to convince you they aren't. I hope you like your wing :)

On another note...I was just thinking about something else. I think the reason bungee wings are so distasteful to me are not related to the wings themselves, but to the people I meet that have them. They are either one of two types in my neck of the woods: 1) accidents waiting to happen - extremely obese, gear all over the place, smoking on the transom, etc. or 2) cocky a-holes that give you **** for being DIR and diving a Halcyon rig. I don't mix well with either of these types..

O-ring
it has been a good discution, where we ahve both been able to bring out our viewpoint [NetDoc included] without either side resorting to name calling, or side steping.

We do disagree, but that is ok, we both provided our view points and discussed every pro or con of each others type of wing.

I think anybody following this thread will be able to make an informed choice.

and when it became obviouse that neither was going to convince the other you simple agreed to disagree. that is comendable.

On another note...I was just thinking about something else. I think the reason bungee wings are so distasteful to me are not related to the wings themselves, but to the people I meet that have them. They are either one of two types in my neck of the woods: 1) accidents waiting to happen - extremely obese, gear all over the place, smoking on the transom, etc. or 2) cocky a-holes that give you **** for being DIR and diving a Halcyon rig. I don't mix well with either of these types..
As for the last remark again the same can be said for both side of the issue well at least your #2 example however if you have a boat full of non DIR people then you will still find these types, it is not just because there are DIR divers on board.

I will say that is one good thiong about DIR...if you have a boat full of DIR divers then i will bet you don't have this type of attitude as discribed in #2, because you all do things the same way.

anytime you want to discuss other contravertial issues I would be glad to enter into a dabate with you. you are obviously adult enough to debate something without it getting totaly emotional

Seems like we have battled back and forth over various stuff for a while now :D

Seriously though, I agree...informative, as always. Let's just not do it again anytime soon...we will just point newcomers to this thread and roll our collective eyes ( :rolleyes: ), ok?

I see you are allready deeply involved on the same subject on another thread.
I was tempted to jump in and speak up for the bungeed crowd, but just didn't have the enegy....yet

we will continue to debate our beliefs...hopefull we always remain friends

we will continue to debate our beliefs...hopefull we always remain friends

:) Maybe once I get to that fabled 500' mark I can come dive with you..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom