Buoyancy of body fat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex in L.A.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what forum this belongs in, so I thought I'd try this here.

Let's say I get my gear and weights balanced so that I'm perfectly neutral at a depth of 15 feet with 500 psi in my tank at the end of a dive.

Then, over the holidays, I partake in, err, a bit of eggnog and cookies and whatnot, and when I step on the scales in January I am carrying 5 more pounds than previously. Let's also assume for the sake of simplicity that we know these five pounds are all body fat.

Here's my question. Exactly how much weight will I have to add to my belt to rebalance precisely (assuming I'm diving in saltwater)? Which is to say, exactly how positively buoyant is a pure pound of body fat, all other factors excluded? Thanks for any help on this.

Let me try.

According to Archimedes, the additional Bouyant Force will be equal to the density of water times the new volume of water displaced.

The weight of your fat will be the density of fat times the new volume of the fat.

The new volume of the fat should be equal to the new volume of water displaced.

Calculate the additional bouyant force, subtract the additional weight and add that much more weight to be neutral again.

or

New Weight = Additional Volume ( Density of water - Density of new fat)

If you added 5 lbs, look up the density of fat, and you'll have all the info you need. Of course, I haven't considered the last time you went to the bathroom.

Alex in L.A.:
Then, over the holidays, I partake in, err, a bit of eggnog and cookies and whatnot, and when I step on the scales in January I am carrying 5 more pounds than previously. Let's also assume for the sake of simplicity that we know these five pounds are all body fat.

Here's my question. Exactly how much weight will I have to add to my belt to rebalance precisely (assuming I'm diving in saltwater)? Which is to say, exactly how positively buoyant is a pure pound of body fat, all other factors excluded? Thanks for any help on this.

Specific gravity of similar hydrocarbons is about .8-.9, so to approximate your increased buoyancy requirement will be:

Weight of fat ( 1 - .85)

For a 5 pound fat gain this is 5*0.15 = 0.75 pounds.

FT

TCooperWFI:
I don't have that size weight.
:biggrin:
Lead is soft, just use an ordinary kitchen knife to shave a one-pounter down. Make sure it's a kitchen knife of someone you don't like, and replace it without washing...

Roak

roakey:
Lead is soft, just use an ordinary kitchen knife to shave a one-pounter down. Make sure it's a kitchen knife of someone you don't like, and replace it without washing...

Roak

OMG, when I first read this I thought you said

"Fat is soft, just use an ordinary kitchen knife to shave...."

chrpai:
OMG, when I first read this I thought you said

"Fat is soft, just use an ordinary kitchen knife to shave...."
That is true. maybe shave a bit O fat.

:ninja: It still won't get me past that stupid court order, make one little mistake (or six) and people remember it forever! Jeez!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom