Buy all equipment before certification classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait....you'll see all kinds of equipment during your class and can make a more informed decision later.

Wristshot:
...So far I have replaced my snorkel (I think I have about 6?)...
Oh good, someone has as many snorkels as me. I was beginning to feel like a freak.:wink:

archman:
Oh good, someone has as many snorkels as me. I was beginning to feel like a freak.:wink:

I have a confession. Every time I see snorkels that are suitable for scuba on clearance at Meijer (75% off) I buy them. Naturally I tell myself I'm going to sell them to students--so why are they still in my gear locker :06: I'm not even sure how many I have and several are still in the original package :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Check with your shop -- there's a reasonable chance that they would let you get a significant discount if you buy any time during the class or shortly after. I'd be very leery of any place that tried to do a force, a hard sell before even starting the class.

Use the class time to try a couple of different things (BCDs, regs), chat with DMs and instructors about what they use.

I did buy my gear, but only at about the 5th class. Been very happy with it.

(And I am glad that I bought fairly early -- I've logged a bunch of dives, plus a whole lot of unlogged pool and OW skills time since then, plus two dive vacations in the past year.)

I bot all my gear be for I tuck my first class. I have séance bot a new reg. The old one was over $400 the new one $550. So do the math. For $300 on a package. I would at least try them out in class first. My LDS gave me the credit for the up grade.

I bought my gear before I took my class, but only because I got hooked up with a guy who'se shop went out of business. Got most of my gear 75% off. Too bad he was out of regulators already :).

If I hadn't walked into that, I would have waited until after the class, though.

I had an experienced diver help me with my purchase, but I wanted to train in what I would be diving...so I purchased prior to certification. As long as you feel you are making solid choices, I think that is the way to go.

Wait. But don't wait, too long after you have finished your class. What everyone is saying is true.

1. You got to find out what you like and what you don't about gear. Buying the gear first and finding out you don't like it can get expensive.
2. If you always rent gear you will never get really comfortable with your gear because it keeps changing.

There you have it, too appossing views and both are true.

Rent some gear, try out some gear then buy your first set. Your diving will change, the kind of diving you do will change which calls for different gear.

I've had at least 5 different regulators, made by three different companies. My first was an AMF (that ages me). I have breathed off regulators from 8 companies. It's not until you have some experence do you know what you really like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom