Buying a Dive Computer in Roatan / La Ceiba.... Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey all,

Stuck on Utila for the next 11 months or so, maybe longer. This afternoon while inside the cave system of Utila my Uwatec computer took a dump. I've had this unit serviced 3 times already and I'm fed up with it. I may send it off for the "free" replacement, but after paying shipping there, shipping return, plus customs, ferry rides, etc., it isn't so free anymore. It'd likely be cheaper to just buy a new unit. Plus I'd still be diving a Uwatec. I have not reached 100 dives on any of the previous units, so I'm not exactly jumping to get this one replaced at a cost of several hundred dollars in shipping and transportation.

I've gone to the 2 shops on Utila, both have jack-squat for options. The Mares dealer has the "Puck" on hand, but I already own this unit (and don't like it). They have the nicer Mares wrist mount, but I'm not jumping at the bit to own a second Mares wrist computer. They also have the new HD unit. Sweet unit, but I'm not prepared to shell out $1400 plus 14% taxes plus 8% credit card fee to own it. Scuba Shack stopped selling Suunto because, I was told, orders are now filled from Panama and not the USA. Whatever that means. So my options are Cressi or Oceanic with them, but they have nothing in stock and I'm told I'd be looking at 6 weeks before it arrives. At that rate I could purchase it from the USA and get it shipped to me in Honduras for cheaper.

So... where are my options to purchase a dive computer on either Roatan or La Ceiba? I have to hit La Ceiba next week anyway for other business, but I'm not optimistic about a decent shop being located there. I could get to Roatan if I had to, but would first like to e-mail the shop about what they have in-stock and pricing. As you might imagine, doing a google search for Roatan dive shop yields many irrelevant links to shops which don't carry any inventory.

Any help?

TIA

Hey all,

Stuck on Utila for the next 11 months or so, maybe longer.

Can't help with your computer issue, but I will say that anyone who says "stuck on Utila" like it's a bad thing ought to be bitch slapped.

LOL. Sorry 'bout that. It's far from a bad thing... until you need something.

Be nice if you could find someone that is heading there on vacation that can bring you one from the states. With either you paying them when they get there, or you sending your C/C info to the shop where they can pick it up for you. Just a thought if you know anyone heading that way.

Reactions: Doc
I have a uwatec console computer for 200 dives It has been beat up by me and various resort staffs since 2006. The only service it needed was a new battery. What the heck are you using it for? Banging on your tank to signal when you are out of air? Ok, just kidding, but mine has been virtually trouble free. Perhaps if you tell us what type of computer you want we could offer better suggestions. I know Patty at Cocoview has some units but until we know what you want ...? I do think it should not be too hard to arrange for someone from here to meet you there with your choice. Be better that trusting any delivery service. I will be heading to Cocoview in May. I doubt you want to wait that long but since you have a working unit I'd just start looking at various units and decide exactly what you want without regard for the limitations on the Bay islands then post for delivery help here.

If you go to Roatan, check out the TGI diving shop in West Bay. They have great deals on lots of things. I bought a pair of fins there at half of what they cost in the US. I believe there is also a shop (can't remember the name) in West End.

I am wondering why your computers aren't lasting. I have a Suunto Cobra (the original version) and have about 300 dives on it. I have had to change the battery twice but that's it. I do take it in for service each year as well. I can't see a computer from a major manufacturer dying that soon.

If you google Uwatec you will see their quality is shiite ever since they sold to ScubaPro. Just from reading Scubaboard.com, my experiences seem to be the norm with this computer. If yours is solid, count your blessings. Frustrating that I bought this unit before Uwatec sold, and the unit was solid, but Uwatec reclaimed my unit for a mandatory recall. Since then it has been nothing but headaches.

I'm heading to La Ceiba for unrelated business on Monday. I'll ask around to see if a shop exists there, however unlikely that might be. I have already bought a unit from the states, but it is backordered for 2 weeks plus shipping logistics come into play. We'll see...

Seems you need to figure out the shipping thing, it should cost nothing near what a replacement computer does, I live part time on Roatan and know it can be challenging and bit more for Utila but its certainy doable, heck, I just got my twelve boxes weighing 700 pounds from the shipper for a lot less than a computer costs, Your there for 11 months? Best you learn how to work the system, How come you could not get help from locals who recieve things regularly who could fill you in?

Last edited:
RTB,

Thank you for editting out your 4am reply and replacing it with something more civil. Up late drinking by chance? Maybe you shouldn't post on Scubaboard at 4am? :wink:

So your advice, as someone which lives in Roatan, whom just shipped in plenty of items, is to find a local and ask them how shipping is done? Ok.... RTB, how is shipping into Roatan accomplished?

I ship either through Hyde Shipping or Dip Shipping , they can both be found with a google search, Dip charges by the pound, Hyde is by size with normally a minimum charge of bout 60 dollars for 20 ft3, They generally sail every week leave Miami on Moday anf you can usually get your stuff the following mondy, show the Aduan a reciept, he figures out what you pay then go pay at the bank, then go back to him and he releases the box, Dip shipping handles it all for you but I believe they sail a lot less often,
Being on Utila its some extra steps but at least it would allow you to buy eactly what you want instead of settling for whatever you may find.

There is also RAS x press, that does small shipments , I have heard good and bad about and never used them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom