Buying a new BC, I have it down to three any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best thing to do would be to forget the whole BC, backplate issue and just use duct tape to hold the tank on your back. An old hot water bottle will work great as a buoyancy bladder. Just have your buddy wrap the duct tape around you, tank on back, hot water bottle in front.

Hey Scott, nice to hear from you. A quick question, why did you put a cummerbund on the new scout, and is it removable?

Best thing to do would be to forget the whole BC, backplate issue and just use duct tape to hold the tank on your back. An old hot water bottle will work great as a buoyancy bladder. Just have your buddy wrap the duct tape around you, tank on back, hot water bottle in front.

Hey Scott, nice to hear from you. A quick question, why did you put a cummerbund on the new scout, and is it removable?

Hey I like this idea. Reminds me of two boys that I saw on YouTube. They used a garden sprayer as a tank and swam around a pool. I really hope that they didn't get the bright idea of using it in deeper waters.

Scott is going to love you for that question. I asked the same thing about the Brigade. I hate a bun and just tucked mine back on itself. That was before I bought a 15 year old Ranger and made my own hybrid...no pockets no bun. Had to send it to Zeagle to change the buckles but that $15.

If that's what you want to do ... go for it. My choice is "Navy Straps," and old plastic backpack, or an ABS plate with wings.

"...Thal raises (and has raised recently in other posts) the issue of weight ditchability independent of rig removal, and that is very good food for thought. I do not like using a weight belt with my drysuit, and have gotten to the point where all my weight is in my rig (double steel 120s, SS BP, ankle weights on the tanks). The rig is very negative but, in the suit (even shrink-wrapped), I am positive. If I had to remove the unit, it would sink like a stone, while I would go the other way. Need to rethink my approach"...
Before you make big changes, lets think things through thoroughly. I agree with many points Thal raises, no disrespect intended. But its important for anyone making equipment decisions to recognize there are some true distinctions between dives often classified as 'recreational' and those often called 'technical'.

Doffing and donning one's BC/single tank rig is a time-honored skill still taught in many OW classes, and I'm not making any statement one way or the other regarding whether its an appropriate response for OW recreational divers to use.

But I cannot think of a single scenario on any mixed gas dive to some wreck below 200' where the correct response to to "remove my set of steel doubles".

I have team mates to respond to issues on these dives. If I'm alone, trying to remove a set of steel 130s on mixed gas at depth with a deco obligation, this dive went south a long time ago.

Your first point about good divers being able to make standard gear fit into different environments is well taken. But there are some distinctions between environments which clearly suggest that certain skills (such as doffing and donning a rig) are specific to different environments. (Yes, there are no doubt divers who would argue that they can remove and replace a set of steel doubles configured as you described, but this is by no means the norm and, depending on circumstances, may not be the optimal response.)

Optimal equipment selection is often driven by considering the requirements of specific environments. I dive the wrecks off NC configured just like you are - rig has all the weight, I'm positive. And "re-thinking one's approach" is never a bad thing. But unless you intend to move to a recreational configuration that would more easily support doffing and donning your rig, I suspect you'll conclude as I did that doffing a set of steel doubles at depth is asking for grief; and in nearly any case you can think of, having a buddy next to you to untangle you is likely a safer option during deep mixed gas dives.

FWIW. YMMV.

[/HIJACK]

Doc

But I cannot think of a single scenario on any mixed gas dive to some wreck below 200' where the correct response to to "remove my set of steel doubles".
Separted from team mate, or in a tight space and tanged in something, net, wire, caveline, fishing leader, etc. Not that far fetched in my experience around wrecks in the N.E.

Your first point about good divers being able to make standard gear fit into different environments is well taken. But there are some distinctions between environments which clearly suggest that certain skills (such as doffing and donning a rig) are specific to different environments. (Yes, there are no doubt divers who would argue that they can remove and replace a set of steel doubles configured as you described, but this is by no means the norm and, depending on circumstances, may not be the optimal response.)
Agreed, but in some circumstances it will be the optimal response. I think it shortsighted to eliminate any possibility of that response.

Optimal equipment selection is often driven by considering the requirements of specific environments. I dive the wrecks off NC configured just like you are - rig has all the weight, I'm positive. And "re-thinking one's approach" is never a bad thing. But unless you intend to move to a recreational configuration that would more easily support doffing and donning your rig, I suspect you'll conclude as I did that doffing a set of steel doubles at depth is asking for grief; and in nearly any case you can think of, having a buddy next to you to untangle you is likely a safer option during deep mixed gas dives.
Having a buddy next to you is a safer option for all dives, no matter what your configuration is, no disagreement there, but things do happen.

I've had the chance to examine, in detail, over 2000 diving fatality cases and there's one thing that blasts through all the confusion and clutter: rarely does a diving fatality stem from a single cause, it's almost always the result of a multiple series of cascading failures. And there's one really important lesson that I've learned that I credit with having saved my bacon a few times: the effective ability to deal with any one of the items will stop the chain reaction. Being able to remove and replace ones rig is just one of those items, not some end all/be all that defines you as a "good diver" or a "bad diver."

We all evaluate what we need for personal and team safety and then we and our team live and dive by those choices. We choose to be diver neutral/rig neutral, it is one of our core values, it costs us nothing, it does not obviate a DIR style balanced rig, and with the proper selection of belt (or harness if you'd rather) it does not create any risk. I can not, for the life of me, see why anyone would do otherwise.

The entire objection to being diver neutral/rig neutral seems to stem from the very reasonable rejection (a rejection that we made almost 50 years ago) of an unsafe type of weight belt buckle without any consideration of the rather simple alternatives available. Get a rubber belt and try it, you may be surprised, and the life you save might be your own, might be your team mates'. Or it might never be an issue, but, if nothing else, it will help your trim.

Doc Intrepid:
But I cannot think of a single scenario on any mixed gas dive to some wreck below 200' where the correct response to "remove my set of steel doubles".
Thalassamania:
Separated from team mate, or in a tight space and tanged in something, net, wire, caveline, fishing leader, etc. Not that far fetched in my experience around wrecks in the N.E.
Good points from both. I hope I am never in a situation where doffing my steel doubles is the best course of action. But, as I tell my colleagues, ‘hope is not a strategy’. So, my ‘rethinking’ is really a matter of considering a series of ‘what if’ scenarios. ‘What if my buddy and I both get hung up in netting’, for example. Certainly, not planning to rush to decisions about rig configuration changes. Nonetheless, the discussion is, as I mentioned, very good food for thought. I continue to refine my rig, to make it optimally functional for me. But, as I pursue standardization and optimization, I also continue to experiment (under reasonably controlled conditions) with ‘tweaks’.
Thalassamania:
Get a rubber belt and try it, you may be surprised, and the life you save might be your own, might be your team mates'. Or it might never be an issue, but, if nothing else, it will help your trim.
I was intrigued by this in your previous post, and now want to try one as a ‘tweak’..
Doc Intrepid:
I suspect you'll conclude as I did that doffing a set of steel doubles at depth is asking for grief; and in nearly any case you can think of, having a buddy next to you to untangle you is likely a safer option during deep mixed gas dives.
Fully agree, and I never want to have to do it. But, Thal has me thinking about how I would survive if ‘never’ comes.

Hey, we're all on the same page ... enjoy the dive and survive to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom