Buying a new BC, I have it down to three any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the three, Zeagle also makes a great backplate. I haven't dove one yet (I use a Deep Sea Supply rig) but you can pick one up on ScubaToys.com, I am sure.

I'm not aware of any BCs that are weight integrated and can carry doubles (at least backmounted). The closest would probably be the Dive Rite Transpac.

If you truly want something capable of handling double tanks, get a BP/W. You'll just end up there when the time comes anyway.

By the way, why does it need to be easily adjustable? Will other people be using it regularly?

The Zeagle Ranger can easily handle doubles, they even sell it with 2 sets of straps, one for single tank one for doubles.

If you are interested in the Seaquest Black Diamond, I would recommend that you look into the Aeris Atmos LX. This BC is almost identical to the Black Diamond, and preceded it by at least a year, not to mention that it is less expensive. I have the older XT model and it is the best BC that I have ever tried.

Although I wonder why you decided that Doubles is a requirement for your BC, unless your into technical diving??

IMO diving singles and diving doubles requires two complete setups. You may find a handful of divers that use the same setup in a BP/W for both, but unlikely.

For example a singles setup may consist of a SS Plate, STA, 30lbs wing, harness and cam bands.

A doubles setup often looks more like an ALUM plate, 45lbs doubles wing, and harness.

Notice that nothing but the harness is really shared as they use a different tank mounting system, a different plate, and a different wing. As moving harnesses between plates is a PITA, most divers just elect to have a singles setup, and a double setup.

IMO if you want a BC to dive doubles, then buy one, but an optimal doubles setup is NOT an optimal singles rig. There is no reason to dive a 45lbs wing for singles, and no reason to have a STA, or CAM bands on a doubles rig.

I personally dive a Zeagle Stiletto for warm water wet diving, and a HammerHead BP/STA OMS 30lbs donut shaped wing for dry cold water diving. If or when I go to doubles, that will be an entirely different setup!

There is no ONE setup that is going to work best or even well for all types of diving.

Of the three, Zeagle also makes a great backplate. I haven't dove one yet (I use a Deep Sea Supply rig).

Other than a few bells and whistles that some may not need...a plate is a plate is a plate. I like my Zeagle and have dove a DSS, not much difference.

Walter you forgot that if the OP uses any of the above mentioned BC's that they would kill themself. That drag is going to just kill the SAC rate it might go from 6 to 6.1 thus causing them to reduce their dive time from 20 minutes to 19.5 minutes. Give me a stinking break. If drag was a big issue the cave divers would have another system instead of the long hose. Remember there is extra hose causing extra drag

A lot of people use the Ranger for doubles. I didn't do it but I do use the Ranger bladder on a plate. For what it is worth I converted three DB's to a Zeagle product from Oceanic.

You are mistaken. None of those BCs will kill a diver. Lack of skills (all to common) and stupid mistakes (something to which we can all fall victim) can kill divers.

Hey, if you like a rig with lots of drag in a ripping current, it won't bother me, go ahead and use one. As far as the long hose, I think it is used in many situations in which it is not necessary, but in any penetrations where divers must proceed in single file or go long distances to the exit, they are essential. Also, a long hose does not create all that much drag, especially when compared to a poorly designed BC.

You are mistaken. None of those BCs will kill a diver. Lack of skills (all to common) and stupid mistakes (something to which we can all fall victim) can kill divers.

Hey, if you like a rig with lots of drag in a ripping current, it won't bother me, go ahead and use one. As far as the long hose, I think it is used in many situations in which it is not necessary, but in any penetrations where divers must proceed in single file or go long distances to the exit, they are essential. Also, a long hose does not create all that much drag, especially when compared to a poorly designed BC.

Oh but wait. There are several feet of extra hose that isn't slick and drag resistant. According to your description of the BC's that hose is going to really affect the diver. Dry suit divers must really be in really sad shape since we usually have at least one thigh pocket. Toss in a spool, SMB, three lights, and OH MY GOODNESS A P_VALVE and...HOLLY COW!! Like I said before..give me a break.

...think about being tangled in a net, having to remove your rig to untangle yourself, losing your grip on your rig and making a buoyant ascent into the net which is billowing over you, you’re dead.
Whever I get tangled in a net I just motion my buddy to come over and cut me out. But I can't even remember the last time that happened, if ever. :wink: I would be much more worried about losing a belt. And some divers can't wear a heavily laden belt without that risk being very real. Your info on new belt technology is valuable, though.

Back
Top Bottom