Buying a new BC, I have it down to three any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the long hose, I think it is used in many situations in which it is not necessary,
Our student in Wreck Mania sure liked my long hose as we hung on that down line during our safety stop. I has come in handy SO MANY TIMES. But you don't just don't know how convenient something is until you dive it regularly.

Oh but wait. There are several feet of extra hose that isn't slick and drag resistant. According to your description of the BC's that hose is going to really affect the diver. Dry suit divers must really be in really sad shape since we usually have at least one thigh pocket. Toss in a spool, SMB, three lights, and OH MY GOODNESS A P_VALVE and...HOLLY COW!! Like I said before..give me a break.

If you would really like a response to the effect of the things you mention vs. drag, send me a PM and I will be happy to discuss some of it with you.

I am going to buy a new BC and I have it down to three any ideas?

Zeagle Ranger BCD with Ripcord Weight System
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=HeavyDutyBC&src=gendocs&link=Ranger

Seaquest Black Diamond BCD with SureLock weight system
http://www.aqualung.com/products/black_diamond.html

Oceanic Excursion BC
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_excursion.html

I am looking for ideas, so if there is a BC that you really like and it has these features please tell me about it, thanks.

Comfortable Durable
Easily Adjustable
Back Inflated
Weight Integrated
Double Tank Capable
Cold and Warm water diving
Extreme Depths

If all of those features are truly what you are looking to do, I would say that a backplate and wing is your best choice. We make them, as do many others....

Are you currently certified? I only ask because many new divers get overly enthusiastic and believe that they want to dive double tanks, go to extreme depths, etc...then they get certified, do a few dives, and find out the there is plenty to see and do above the 130ft mark.

Also, if I may....please remember one important thing - everyone has an opinion. Just because something works great for one person, it doesn't mean that you need to buy it! Get something that you like and are comfortable with and enjoy yourself....you don't have to buy your "last" BC first....

Good luck on your search...whatever you end up choosing!!!

If you have any questions about Zeagle stuff, you can PM me, post in the Zeagle section here, or simply call me at Zeagle and we will discuss it...

Thanks,

Scott

Convenient is not the same as necessary.
I don't know... I guess he found that regulator dangling from above as both convenient and neccesary. Either way, he sure was happy AFTER the fact... I remember that well. If memory serves, it was you who asked me to pass it down to him as well. :D

Would the Aqualung WTX work for you?

The Zeagle ranger is a very nice BC, I love mine. But I wouldn't dream of using it with doubles, it simply would be more trouble than its worth. As mentioned, you would probably want to change the wing (which you can do). The other issue is it doesn't have a solid back. That works fine with a single tank, the double straps hold it in place nicely. But doubles I would expect would have a tendancy to twist the system a bit too much based on what I read on attaching doubles.

Assuming I ever get to diving doubles, which I doubt I ever will (too lazy to carry all that weight for a 20 minute dive and hour deco), I would use the Ranger for my single tank dives and get a BP/Wing for doubles.

It looks like I'm going to be moving to the Seattle area, when I get there I will probably tweak the rig some by going to a weight belt with suspenders for some of the weight. Not that the Zeagle can't handle it, its just gets too heavy.

The other reason that many of us don't like BP/Wings is because we don't like weight belts, particularly those of us without much in the way of hips. Always feels like my pants are falling down. The suspender rigs may change that opinion.

The Zeagle ranger is a very nice BC, I love mine. But I wouldn't dream of using it with doubles, it simply would be more trouble than its worth. As mentioned, you would probably want to change the wing (which you can do). The other issue is it doesn't have a solid back. That works fine with a single tank, the double straps hold it in place nicely. But doubles I would expect would have a tendancy to twist the system a bit too much based on what I read on attaching doubles.

The other reason that many of us don't like BP/Wings is because we don't like weight belts, particularly those of us without much in the way of hips. Always feels like my pants are falling down. The suspender rigs may change that opinion.

I have heard of guys using the Ranger with a BP for doubles.Simply run the band bolts through the Ranger and then through the plate. I really don't know why you would do this but I know of two that have.

Another option for the weight belt issue is the weight pockets. Actually Zeagle makes their zip cord system as well as pockets for their BP's. Others make a pocket as well. Since I have issues with nerves in my lower back a weight belt or suspenders just doesn't work for me. I ended up with weight pouches.

The thread brings up three points: 1. A competent diver can probably make just about any rig – BC, BP/W, - work for a variety opf conditions, cold, warm, shallow, deep, etc. And, what works really well for one diver may not work really well for another diver, as personal preference does influence perception. There may be differences in efficiency (drag, etc.) across rigs but probably most do not fall into the ‘You are gonna die’ category. There may also be differences in logic - 'Why would I even want to use my Ranger for my doubles, instead of a BP/W?' to be considered as well. 2. Thal raises (and has raised recently in other posts) the issue of weight ditchability independent of rig removal, and that is very good food for thought. I do not like using a weight belt with my drysuit, and have gotten to the point where all my weight is in my rig (double steel 120s, SS BP, ankle weights on the tanks). The rig is very negative but, in the suit (even shrink-wrapped), I am positive. If I had to remove the unit, it would sink like a stone, while I would go the other way. Need to rethink my approach. 3. Padded BCs like the Ranger are very comfortable on the surface (in and out of the water), but the comfort difference between a Ranger and a simple hog-rigged BP/W disappears as soon as I submerge, just as Walter suggests. My Ranger now sits in my closet, lonely and unused - not because it is a 'bad' BC which it is not, but because a simple BP/W is just as comfortable, and less trouble, for singles diving, and infinitely more functional for doubles diving.
As Scott suggested, the OP does not have to buy their ‘last BC’ this time around. Indeed, a ‘last BC’ purchase may be as real as gryphons and Nessie. Many of us continue to evolve, as we try different things and find out what works for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom