Buying a new BC, I have it down to three any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not aware of any BCs that are weight integrated and can carry doubles (at least backmounted). The closest would probably be the Dive Rite Transpac.

If you truly want something capable of handling double tanks, get a BP/W. You'll just end up there when the time comes anyway.

By the way, why does it need to be easily adjustable? Will other people be using it regularly?

Zeagle Ranger is weight integrated and does indeed handle doubles.

Zeagle Ranger is weight integrated and does indeed handle doubles.
Back in the corner PF, getting crowded there.:D

It appears that you are planning on using a weight integrated BCD. I hope you will reconsider that approach. Integrated weight BCDs, when combined with a significantly buoyant exposure suit, place a diver in significant danger.

with all due respect i think this is an overly-alarmist exaggeration. considering that some people - even experienced divers - need a significant amount of weight it makes sense to me to have the ability to distribute weight all over your gear, including belt, bc, tank, wherever you need it.

i feel fairly comfortable having *some* weight in my BC, *some* weight on a belt - i spread the load & the risk of removal around, plus it makes carrying the whole set up a lot easier when trudging to the dive site :/

yes - losing all of your weight in one go can be a Very Bad Thing, but i don't see that as a reason to not have weight integration in your BC available as an option.

for OP: i know someone with a oceanic excursion who finds it pretty good, but the weight pouches can be a bit fiddly.

I am going to buy a new BC and I have it down to three any ideas?

Zeagle Ranger BCD with Ripcord Weight System
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=HeavyDutyBC&src=gendocs&link=Ranger

Seaquest Black Diamond BCD with SureLock weight system
http://www.aqualung.com/products/black_diamond.html

Oceanic Excursion BC
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_excursion.html

I am looking for ideas, so if there is a BC that you really like and it has these features please tell me about it, thanks.

Comfortable Durable
Easily Adjustable
Back Inflated
Weight Integrated
Double Tank Capable
Cold and Warm water diving
Extreme Depths
I would also look at your criteria above; (1) "extreme depths", (2) "double tank capable", (3) "back inflated" - and draw a conclusion that you intend to eventually pursue technical training.

If so, and my assumption could be mistaken, Perrone is right - you may eventually find yourself replacing any BC you purchase now with a backplate and wing. In which case you would be ahead financially to simply get one now. (BCs are difficult, but not impossible, to sling deco bottles from...if you're contemplating "extreme depth" then you may want to broaden your analysis...)

But you may intend to use your equipment to pursue strictly recreational training and diving, and in this case a BC may serve you better at least at this stage. I'm going out on a limb and open myself to scathing rebukes from these other ancient mariners here, but IMHO it is much easier to remove and replace your rig UW if you're in a BC as opposed to a bp/wing. (It isn't impossible to doff and don in a bp/wing with a set of steel 130s and a drysuit, but its by god easier to flip off a BC and single 80 and then flip it back on wearing a wetsuit with a weightbelt...)

So....much depends on what you want to use the equipment for in the near future.

That said, of those you mentioned either the Zeagle or the Oceanic would do what you want them to do. I wouldn't want to put any weight inside the BC anyway, so 'weight-integrated' is irrelevant to me. If you're serious about using a set of double tanks, as noted above IMHO you're not looking at a sufficiently broad set of alternatives. As the others have already emphasized, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that's the optimal path to follow.

Best with your decision,

[Old Dudes Rule! :D ]

Doc

You probably can't go wrong with any of the three. I spent a lot of time researching those very three, ironic, and decided on the Excursion simply because my LDS had it in stock and got a really good price. Have you tried any of those three? Have you tried back-inflate?

BTW - The excursion is EXTREMELY comfortable in and out of the water. I fits as if it just a natural extension of your body, if that makes any sense. I love it.

Post your decision if you get a chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom