Buying a tank for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look for steel 72's. Newer ones with the standard valve thread not the older pipe thread tanks. I have both. My "new" ones have born on dates of 1973 and 1974. The older ones are 1953 and 1954 vintage. They all passed the most recent hydro. All were less than 75 bucks each. They will outlive me.
I own 5 al80's. Each one bought used but they are newer. Born dates of 2008 and 2009. I would not buy any older than 1990 vintage unless I had my own compressor and was not worried about hydro's and vis's as long as they were not the 6351 alloy.
Absolutely no need to buy new tanks and I prefer low pressure over high. Easier to get good fills just about anywhere. The one good thing about HP steel tanks is there are so many of them out now I sometimes go to a place where they don't look too close and they'll put 3400 in my LP tanks. That's a good day :D.

I agree with Jim, the Steel 72 is a great value if you are careful. Some of them had a vinyl spray in liner and might not pass VIP. I just looked a few of those this month. They might be savable, but not worth the asking price when they need the liner removed by tubling + the cost of VIP/Hydro.

In any case, I have bought 4 of the 72s in the last few months for way less than the cost of new Al80s.

They are very versatile for single tank dives as well as side mount. You just have to remember they are older Low Pressure Tanks and should not really be pumped up (cave fill) style like some of the newer LP Steel tanks.

If you would take your own tanks on dive trips to salt water I'd consider buying HP100's or HP120's. If your tanks are only for the lake it is hard to beat the price of AL80's. If you have the tanks you will dive and you need the practice. If you don't have the tanks you won't. I think it is easier to buy AL80's in places where people don't dive very much. Stay after 1990 and check Craigslist all the time. You will find some in the $25-100 range. If they are not in hydro just don't pay so much.

Back
Top Bottom