Buying a used regulator. Need feedback between the Mares 52x Fusion or Scuba pro S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin Phillips

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking to by myself a used regulator (which I will have serviced). I have a budget but I want the most for my money. I was looking at the Mares 52x Fusion which seems to be highly regarded but not seen as much (I dont know if Mares equipment can easily be serviced in the US) for the classic MK25/S600 combo. The Mares is a bit cheaper but seems to be a bit higher regarded than the Scuba Pro, I was wondering if anyone had any feedback out there. I would love to listen and learn.

I'm a big Mares regulator fan and I would certainly recommend the 52X as a fairly compact, high performance first stage for anything short of ice diving temps. But not so much for the second stages like the Fusion that have the VAD switch. IMO, it was added solely for marketing purposes and adds an unnecessary failure point and some extra bulk. I'm also not convinced that the Fusion's pivoting purge button adds anything.

There's a review at https://www.50ftbelow.com/mares-fusion-52x-review/amp/ . You may get a safety warning from your browser for the page, but it's just an expired cert. I went ahead and accepted it.

So if the prices are similar, I'm going to recommend the Scubapro setup over the Mares. How much are they asking?

BTW, there are lots of shops that can service Mares gear in the US. Scubapro is the easiest to find techs for, but Mares (along with Aqualung) are not that far behind.

I'm a big Mares regulator fan and I would certainly recommend the 52X as a fairly compact, high performance first stage for anything short of ice diving temps. But not so much for the second stages like the Fusion that have the VAD switch. IMO, it was added solely for marketing purposes and adds an unnecessary failure point and some extra bulk. I'm also not convinced that the Fusion's pivoting purge button adds anything.

There's a review at https://www.50ftbelow.com/mares-fusion-52x-review/amp/ . You may get a safety warning from your browser for the page, but it's just an expired cert. I went ahead and accepted it.

So if the prices are similar, I'm going to recommend the Scubapro setup over the Mares. How much are they asking?

BTW, there are lots of shops that can service Mares gear in the US. Scubapro is the easiest to find techs for, but Mares (along with Aqualung) are not that far behind.
The Scubapro setups are going for about $650 used for 1st, 2nd, and Octo as well as spg. The Mares is going for $425. Any other Mares stuff worth looking at? I will do a bit more research.

The Scubapro setups are going for about $650 used for 1st, 2nd, and Octo as well as spg. The Mares is going for $425. Any other Mares stuff worth looking at? I will do a bit more research.
I wouldn’t buy either but thats not based on performance, the prices are to high unless just serviced. I just bought a Zeagle F8 from your area with two F8 seconds stages. Your local stuff tends to be in pretty good condition as they are mostly used in fresh water. Either one of those will serve you well.

I wouldn’t buy either but thats not based on performance, the prices are to high unless just serviced. I just bought a Zeagle F8 from your area with two F8 seconds stages. Your local stuff tends to be in pretty good condition as they are mostly used in fresh water. Either one of those will serve you well.
Thanks for the feedback. Think I am on the right track for equipment just need to get the right prices. What are good purchase sources besides here?

Thanks for the feedback. Think I am on the right track for equipment just need to get the right prices. What are good purchase sources besides here?
There are a lot of places to buy but maybe research what others are using, here you can start a poll but I would suggest digging around the manufacturer web sites what current models are available, avoid falling for the hyperbole. Some brands are top of the heap for longevity and ability to upgrade to the newest specs, Atomic and Scuba Pro are great at this with basic things like the mk25 s600 being around for over 20 years relatively unchanged, same with atomic, all Zeagle post Apeks (about 20 years) use the same service kits, the choices are vast but unless you want to learn to do it yourself you may want ask your favorite shop what brands the carry and service, it will make life easier.

Both of those are kind of steep. I could maybe see it if they are coming from a dive shop and were freshly serviced. You have to add in that it's going to cost $100 to $150 to get 3 stages serviced if you buy used.

I bought my son this new Mares 15x Prestige with octo setup a couple of years ago. It was a screaming deal at $249 then, but it's still a decent price today at $399.

Following is an upgrade of both first and second stages at basically the same price. It is DIN which may or may not be a problem:

The seller is in Italy. I bought my current first stage (an MR22) from them and I've also bought service parts from then with no problem. However, I do not know what effect buying overseas will have on your warranty. I service my own regs so it wasn't a consideration for me.

I'm going to recommend the Scubapro setup over the Mares.
I am framing this for safe keeping and future reference 🤠

Back
Top Bottom