buying first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought two Aeris Atmos II wrist mount computers on E-Bay for $220 each, plus $10 shipping.

The seller I purchased from, RayRod3131, has one posted on E-Bay. The bidding is at $220 right now, and he wants $10 for shipping. "RayRod" shipped both computers quickly, and I received them in perfect condition. They are NOT under warranty, but came in the original box and with the manuals.

I'd still argue that a computer is more useful in the following ways:

1) You cannot get an accurate graph of a dive without one. I.e. looking for a 'bounce' at depth.
2) More information after a dive is always better than less.
3) Alarms recorded are useful in planning sequential dives.
4) At depth it is easy to see remaining air time estimates, remaining no deco times, current depth, current dive time, current PSI accurate to the single digit, etc. Something that would take looking at a watch and gauge and remembering a lot of other information to get otherwise.

Look, I wear a watch, and I plan my dives. I also go waaaay to the far side of conservative when I dive. At the end of the day, I find that I can look at a single screen and get all the information I need immediately. I find it hard to imagine that NOT being a safer way to dive.

As to needing a reg and tank to dive....touche. :wink:

EricJ:
I bought two Aeris Atmos II wrist mount computers on E-Bay for $220 each, plus $10 shipping.

The seller I purchased from, RayRod3131, has one posted on E-Bay. The bidding is at $220 right now, and he wants $10 for shipping. "RayRod" shipped both computers quickly, and I received them in perfect condition. They are NOT under warranty, but came in the original box and with the manuals.

At 230 each... I think I'd spend the extra 35 and get the warranty... but maybe that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology too....BUT....

RICoder:
1) You cannot get an accurate graph of a dive without one. I.e. looking for a 'bounce' at depth.
While flashy & "neat" to look at, I've yet to see any evidence that "bounces" at depth increase risk of DCI. Sure, wild fluctuations in depth are not good, but if I'm at 90' & I "bounce" from 90-80-90-80, I don't believe that there are any data suggesting this is terrible. But, like I said, if you want to stimulate a few extra neurons by looking at your profiles, a computer is the way to go.

Perhaps it'd be most useful if you were actually testing yourself in a relatively flat environment (i.e., "I was trying to keep a constant depth through this dive....did I?").

RICoder:
2) More information after a dive is always better than less.
Perhaps.

RICoder:
3) Alarms recorded are useful in planning sequential dives.
Nah, I don't think so. Unless you're blowing through NDLs, or perhaps bouncing around with no respect for ascent rates, I don't see how the little alarms help much. Can you give me an example of how you've recently applied "alarm analysis" to sequential dive planning?

RICoder:
4) At depth it is easy to see remaining air time estimates, remaining no deco times, current depth, current dive time, current PSI accurate to the single digit, etc. Something that would take looking at a watch and gauge and remembering a lot of other information to get otherwise.
"Air time estimates": I look at my air gauge about twice/dive on average unless the conditions are completely & totally new to me. You should be able to predict your air remaining within 100psig or so at any time, just from experience. If you're not there yet, you will be, and then you'll ignore that little part of your computer (I bet).

"Remaining no deco times": if you don't have a computer & you're a recreational diver, you're probably using tables. If so, it's not too hard to remember a couple numbers (NDL for planned depth & one or two on either side).

"Current depth": not hard to glance at an analog depth gauge.

"Current dive time": not hard to glance at a watch or bottom timer, which, by the way, may have your depth on it as well. :wink:

"Current PSI accurate to the single digit": Who cares?? If you're worried about the single digit, you've screwed up your plan...big time.

RICoder:
I find it hard to imagine that NOT being a safer way to dive.
I would say that it's hard to imagine that it would be a more dangerous way to dive, but I would not make claims about improving safety. Computers fail, and unless you've built in redundancy, you've just lost your air gauge, depth gauge, and bottom timer.

From an education standpoint, I understand that looking at a computer profile may help new divers review their buoyancy, etc. in a graphical format. Fine. But, I've seen way too many new divers just strap a computer to their wrist & jump in the water, completely relying on the computer to do their dive planning for them. I realize that you don't do that, but you must admit that many do.

Jim

well, i ended up getting an oceanic versa pro and i just used it for 18 dives in roatan. i'm very happy with it thus far! it is easy to read, easy to set, and easy to understand. plus, i like being able to decide for myself what i want to consider my o2/deco limit.

i still have a lot to learn about it all, but i have to say, i really like diving with a computer. i still wear a bottom timer, and use my tables, but the computer is a lot of fun, and definitely more accurate-- especially when my dives tended to start as deep as 95ft, but move up to 45-60 feet for the majority of the time.

now i am saving to get the cable/computer program so i can look at all the pretty graphs!

thanks again-- i learned A LOT from this post!

GoBlue!:
Don't get me wrong, I love technology too....BUT....

While flashy & "neat" to look at, I've yet to see any evidence that "bounces" at depth increase risk of DCI. Sure, wild fluctuations in depth are not good, but if I'm at 90' & I "bounce" from 90-80-90-80, I don't believe that there are any data suggesting this is terrible. But, like I said, if you want to stimulate a few extra neurons by looking at your profiles, a computer is the way to go.

Perhaps it'd be most useful if you were actually testing yourself in a relatively flat environment (i.e., "I was trying to keep a constant depth through this dive....did I?").

Perhaps.

Nah, I don't think so. Unless you're blowing through NDLs, or perhaps bouncing around with no respect for ascent rates, I don't see how the little alarms help much. Can you give me an example of how you've recently applied "alarm analysis" to sequential dive planning?

"Air time estimates": I look at my air gauge about twice/dive on average unless the conditions are completely & totally new to me. You should be able to predict your air remaining within 100psig or so at any time, just from experience. If you're not there yet, you will be, and then you'll ignore that little part of your computer (I bet).

"Remaining no deco times": if you don't have a computer & you're a recreational diver, you're probably using tables. If so, it's not too hard to remember a couple numbers (NDL for planned depth & one or two on either side).

"Current depth": not hard to glance at an analog depth gauge.

"Current dive time": not hard to glance at a watch or bottom timer, which, by the way, may have your depth on it as well. :wink:

"Current PSI accurate to the single digit": Who cares?? If you're worried about the single digit, you've screwed up your plan...big time.

I would say that it's hard to imagine that it would be a more dangerous way to dive, but I would not make claims about improving safety. Computers fail, and unless you've built in redundancy, you've just lost your air gauge, depth gauge, and bottom timer.

From an education standpoint, I understand that looking at a computer profile may help new divers review their buoyancy, etc. in a graphical format. Fine. But, I've seen way too many new divers just strap a computer to their wrist & jump in the water, completely relying on the computer to do their dive planning for them. I realize that you don't do that, but you must admit that many do.

Jim
I concede! DAMN YOU! :wink:

I think what I did is try to explain why I like it over a gauge. At the end of the day, I plan my dive and dive my plan, so it is nothing more than a redundancy. I doubt if it makes me "MORE" safe, but it does give me instant access, in numbers...I still have a hard time reading an analog clock. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom