Buying first GoPro - Will head mount work? Battery length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree on the head mount not being great. Also, I've lost my gopro when strapped to my head. Luckily I found it.

Try one of those "stick" mounts or a Goodman handle type mount. I saw a mount on scubaboard recently that attaches to the shoulder strap on a BCD. Looked interesting.

I've had my hero2 for a while now, and haven't got any video longer than a few seconds that I really like much. I wish I'd put the money into an inexpensive point & shoot with a strobe.

I agree on the head mount not being great. Also, I've lost my gopro when strapped to my head. Luckily I found it.

Try one of those "stick" mounts or a Goodman handle type mount. I saw a mount on scubaboard recently that attaches to the shoulder strap on a BCD. Looked interesting.

I've had my hero2 for a while now, and haven't got any video longer than a few seconds that I really like much. I wish I'd put the money into an inexpensive point & shoot with a strobe.

I love my head mount. It is great for capturing spearfishing or lobster diving, stuff where your hands are full. If you are "just diving" and want to capture video, holding that tiny little camera is not much of a burden at all.

Nothing wrong with using it mounted on the head.... But I would should 720 as usually we keep Turing our heads even if we do not notice.

Go out... Give it a try. See how the video shot looks and feel to you ... Try it at the pool if needed...

Yeah it's more just for memories, I've gone on a couple of dive vacations and after a while it all becomes a blur.. not trying to create a cool video to put online, just for myself.. if i can get 2 minutes of decent footage from a 50 minute dive that would be good enough. the octomask looks cool unfortunately i need a prescription so i'll have to stick with my current mask

i was mostly just wondering why no one puts their mask strap over the head mount strap to keep it in place as it seemed like that would solve any issues of it moving around on your head or flying off your head?

i'll look into mounting on my bcd as well, to mix it up and see what works best. i really don't want to hand hold at all, i've dove with a camera before and i found it really took away from my enjoyment.. i was focused on the camera rather than what was around me and just soaking it all in. but thats just me :) on land, i take an obscene amount of photos so i get that

From the XsScuba Facebook page:

Please note that we do not offer corrective lenses for this mask. The only mask we offer lenses for is the MRX mask. You can install prescription lenses in the GoMask, but it would have to be done by a third party like Prescription Dive Masks.

So, while not exactly 'off the shelf' easy, there's an optional path for you if you wish.

Richard.

I would get extra batteries and plan on putting in a fresh battery every dive.

I was able to stretch a battery to 2 dives by starting and stopping recording manually, constantly. That was no fun and I was using a wrist mount. On a head mount, you'd go nuts trying that.

For a hands free option, check out Z Gear's BCD mount, with optional extension kit. This mount is better used over the left shoulder so you don't get the regulator hose in the frame. We also recommend you try out the extension for it. This can allow you to see what you are filming very easily. Check out these how to use video's on this (patented) mount. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AQO6dMZ5baM here is a more forward position option https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_GaWBcfhKBk

If you really like your head mount we have head strap leash that really well https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xDrwyanGrto

I have used my go pro on my head a few times. I do overhead diving frequently, so I have a cheap kayak helmet that I retrofitted with a go pro mount. The added bonus is I also attach two small flash lights on either side. It guarantees that your images will never be dark, and proves a great way to hold your back up lights. The only draw back is occasionally if you look up greater than the horizontal plane, your exhaust bubbles will start to become part of the footage as well.

Ok so here's my feedback from diving with the GoPro. Never did the head mount and you guys are right, that's not the way to go. Also my idea of just recording the whole dive? Not a good idea either, clips are better.. I recorded my first dive and wow what a pain it was to sit through 45 minutes to find the highlights. From that point on I just kept the camera on and pressed record every now and then for 10-30 second clips. Much better. I saw someone with a wrist mounted gopro, that seems pretty good.. but i like what i did. Just had it on a retractor, no handle, it was easy to just hold it out in front of me or swivel/tilt/turn it in any direction regardless of where my eyes were pointed. plus being so small I could just stuff it in a pocket when not in use so it didn't dangle. I would do it this way again. I bought one of those 3' retractable pole/grips, never used it. Used the SRP red filter and highly recommend. Forgot to use it on one dive and what a difference. Some say not to use a filter on shallow dives, I disagree the dive I forgot to use it was 25' average and it looks like crap without the filter, everything is blue.

Hope this helps someone else!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom