Buying from where you train or somewhere else??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm wondering what people's opinions are on buying equipment through the LDS where you've done your training and buying equipment at another LDS.

I'm in a situation where I've done training with a particular LDS and I really like the instructors, and am comfortable with the classes and instruction. However, when it comes to buying equipment, prices are significantly higher than other LDSs I've been to that are reasonably close by. I've gotten great service and advice from another LDS in particular and am happy with buying through them, as they have great prices and really know what they are talking about.

I mean, I'm not even talking about the differences between buying online and through an LDS. In fact, the prices at the average LDS for equipment is quite a bit cheaper. What to do?

Why is this even an issue? You are the buyer. Spend your money with the retailer of your choice. What are you going to do if your training LDS does not carry the product you wish to buy? Are you going to settle for a product they sell instead of the one you want?

Don't let LDS's get you to feeling guilty about buying from them. Survival of the fittest if the best program. When you let them influence your buying decisons they win, not you.

You could always tell them what you're looking at and see if they can do anything for you.

This is an issue for me as I would prefer not to get my training LDS all pissed off at me. I have no issues with their training and would continue to go back. I've asked for deals on equipment, but even with a discount, their prices are still higher than the regular prices at other LDSs.

For example, I priced out an AL80 at the training LDS and the LDS I've been buying equipment from and after all applicable discounts (on both sides) and taxes, the price difference is almost $100. This is on something that normally costs in the range of $200 (give or take).

through my instructor/CD that I have known for 15 years. I get deals that would make most people faint.

However, I just ran into an incident on a wetsuit where even his cost was more than a deal I found on brand new wetsuits of a different brand. He does not and cannot carry that brand (regional licensing). His response was; "Get it! I can't come anywhere close to that. Get what is comfortable and works for you".

That should be the response of any reputable person who truely cares for your well being and long term business.

wlo93 once bubbled...
This is an issue for me as I would prefer not to get my training LDS all pissed off at me. I have no issues with their training and would continue to go back. I've asked for deals on equipment, but even with a discount, their prices are still higher than the regular prices at other LDSs.

For example, I priced out an AL80 at the training LDS and the LDS I've been buying equipment from and after all applicable discounts (on both sides) and taxes, the price difference is almost $100. This is on something that normally costs in the range of $200 (give or take).

wlo93.......I feel your pain but you just said that you are already buying gear from other LDSs'. Why should you subsidise your training LDS for their higher prices. You are the only one who loses in that situation. If they are going to tell you that they have lower training costs for you but it costs you in higher retail products then forget it. You pay them for a service. They provide it. Great.......everyone is happy.

My point is that you are already doing it so why is this an issue? I know you WANT to buy from them but do you want to have to pay more just so they can stay in business?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
You could always tell them what you're looking at and see if they can do anything for you.

Why, so they can go to a wholesale or discount operation and then mark it up to the end user...........no thanks. If they are not an authorized dealer or have purchase agreements in place, how are they going to obtain it? The same way WE would via internet.
Sorry Mike I don't buy that.

PS - I sure seem to run into you alot on this subject.....no offense

My buddy and I face the same dilemma on a regular basis. We got certified at the LDS that is closest to home, but we both ended up buying most of our gear at two other local shops, just a bit farther across town.

We want to support our "home" shop because we want them to stay in business, but we are not going to throw away money just to subsidize them. Whenever there is something that they are competitive on, we buy from them. If they aren't competitive, sometimes we tell them, and they understand. They could choose to lower their prices or not. We get fills and simple things from them because they are convenient, but the big dollars went to the places that had the gear we really wanted and / or the prices we liked better.

We understand that they are in business to feed their family, and they understand that we need to be conscious of costs and value.

my dos centavos (but I could get it online for one centavo!)

Wristshot

Remember, if you buy your gear at the cheaper place, you'll have more money left over to spend on courses from your training LDS.

Buy where it's cheaper.

Diverlady

wlo93 once bubbled...

Screw your LDS and buy where it is cheaper. Your LDS has the right to be as unreasonable as they want to, just like you have the right to buy from anywhere you want to. If they don't like it, you can go elsewhere.

Personally, I never buy anything in an LDS if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom