Buying from where you train or somewhere else??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlo93 once bubbled...
This is an issue for me as I would prefer not to get my training LDS all pissed off at me. I have no issues with their training and would continue to go back. I've asked for deals on equipment, but even with a discount, their prices are still higher than the regular prices at other LDSs.

For example, I priced out an AL80 at the training LDS and the LDS I've been buying equipment from and after all applicable discounts (on both sides) and taxes, the price difference is almost $100. This is on something that normally costs in the range of $200 (give or take).

If a business gets mad at a customer for buying from somewhere else, screw them. It's absolutely insane to think that you should spend more money on something or get what you don't want because you think the retailer will get upset. I can't even fathom that.

5615mike once bubbled...

wlo93.......I feel your pain but you just said that you are already buying gear from other LDSs'. Why should you subsidise your training LDS for their higher prices. You are the only one who loses in that situation. If they are going to tell you that they have lower training costs for you but it costs you in higher retail products then forget it. You pay them for a service. They provide it. Great.......everyone is happy.

My point is that you are already doing it so why is this an issue? I know you WANT to buy from them but do you want to have to pay more just so they can stay in business?

The thing is, their training costs are similar to the other shops I've looked at. I went there because I liked the instructors. What I don't get is why the equipment costs are so much higher. Even with what they give me as a discount, regular prices at other shops are still cheaper.

The fact of the matter is, I want to support their shop, and if it was a matter of a few dollars higher here and there, that would be totally fine with me. But in the example of the AL80, when all's said and done, it would cost me 50% more (i.e. nearly $300 instead of $200 at the other shop) for the exact same thing. Extrapolate this to the thousands I've already spent.

Besides, I have bought some things there as well, as I am not buying entirely from one shop. The one shop I do like the most I have made some significant purchases there.

IMO you really resolved this issue before you even posted but feel a bit guility about not being a full time patrone to your instruction LDS. That's fine....no problem. If this really bothers you then why don't you have this exact discussion with the LDS owner, not the mgr but the owner and give them your input. Let them explain why their retail business is so much more expensive than other shops. IMO they are just trying to drastically increase their profit margin since the scuba business is not a high volume buisness. To increase profit dollars you either have to increase volume with reduced margins or drastically increase the margin and hope to keep volume at same level. You would be very surprised how much gear........fins, mask, bc, regs, gauges a shop sells annually. Check out other posts on this board. Many DS gear their business towards new divers and not that many new divers that are trained every year buy their own equipment.

You are right - I don't like having to buy stuff elsewhere, but the differences are so significant, how can I not? How can anyone not? I'm torn because I like the instructors and I want the shop to do well, but not at my extra expense. If I'm going to spend money on equipment I'd buy there in a second if the prices were reasonable (same as other places or even slightly higher) given the competitive environment.

Back
Top Bottom