Buying gear before dive class or after

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that most divers say the equipment they dive in is the best. Im no expert but the list of equipmet you bought sounds great to me. I know guys that have been diving for a long time and dont have as good as equipmet. By the way great choice on the semi dry suit. You must have a pretty good job it took me ten year to buy the equipmet that i have now. Good luck with your course. :)

I was certified last November, and about a week into the class I decided that I would feel safer and more comfortable in my own gear. And I did, but the trade off was spending boo-koo bucks and not knowing whether or not the sport would work for me. I was a bit stressed on the first dive, not knowing if I would have trouble clearing my ears at depth, or if I would hate the sport, and all the fancy gear I had would be sold for half the price, and some of it (like the customized dry suit) would just be a complete loss.

Lucky for me everything worked out, but I can see how it easily it could of been a big mistake. Before picking the gear, I spent hours researching dive magazines, chat boards, and talking with dozens of dive shops about gear choices. Not being certified, I wasn't able to test any gear and had to make my own decision about things I know little about which was particularly difficult when given conflicting information. I don't think my choices were perfect, but 9 months and 30 dives down the road I am very content with all but my bc selection. My bc works for me, but I believe I can find a better fitting and more flexible setup, so it will probably hit the used listings in the next few months.

Hey nemo when is your check out dive. I know some good places to dive in rhode island. If you and your brother and friends want to dive a few cool spots let me know.

lobstermobster once bubbled...
Hey nemo when is your check out dive. I know some good places to dive in rhode island. If you and your brother and friends want to dive a few cool spots let me know.

My check out dive is this sunday. Im hope we have nice weather.
Id love to get a few dives in before it gets to cold. Send me a email.

Nemo

Since I have not seen anyone answer your direct question, here goes. I did my first 2 open water dives and the confinded water skills with rental gear and immediately thereafter I purchased everything but tanks. I had also done several resort dives before certification obvoisly using rental gear and had already noticed a HUGH difference in the quality of the dive depending on the equipment. For example on my first resort dive I was overweighted and felt uncomfortable and on the second resort dive I used my own mask snorkle and fins with less weight and had a MUCH MUCH better time, and it was on that dive that I discovered that I understood bouyancy control and that I was totaly hooked. After that I started my OW course and started spending all of my free time researching my impending purchase.

It was almost a month and a half that I spent looking at gear everwhere I could find it in south florida before I did my third and fourth OW dives and spent my money. In my case I had already spent enough time underwater to be sure I would do a lot of diving ( I have logged 110 dives since 02\02\03 ) and I had plenty of time to shop and do research before my first OW dives. In fact the only reason I waited until after the first two OW dives was because of the " other point of view" as expressed here many time.

Hope you are as happy with your choices as I am. HAPPY DIVING!

Bob

Nemo,

Congrats on some excellent gear choices, investing in your sport, and supporting your local dive shop (cause where else are you gonna get your rental tanks and training?!)

Count me among those who believe it is best to learn on and dive in your own equipment, that fits you and is in optimum condition.

As to best choices:
1. Noone agrees on what is "best" anyway.
2. A reputable LDS will assist you in selecting "good" equipment.
3. If you become an avid diver, you will develop some preferences and trade out some of your initial gear; and if you are that serious of a diver you will want back-up items anyway, and will have many diving friends who will be interested in buying your hand-me-downs.

Have fun, and be safe!

theskull

First checkout , (a month ago) went great. The water was 59 degrees. The next weekend was put off because of bad weather. Last weekend we where in the water made are first decend to about 25ft the vis was about 3 feet. The instructor gave us the asend sigh. He told us he was calling the dive because it wasnt safe. I was disapointed but it was clear the the other divers in the class didnt want to dive with the vis so bad. If things go well tomorow ill be certified. Im gland that i bought my gear first on the last dive even with bad vis i felt very safe. I realy like having the computer. Well ill right back tomorow night and let you know how it went. Thanks for all the replies.

Join a club and talk to experianed people. That's what I've done. You have to be confident in your choice of gear. There's seem to be some gear out there that is good in theory, but in open water emergancies really is a bad choice. Listen to experianced divers and read some of the tragic stories that have occurred, because of a poor choice of equipment.

I finished my ow dives on sunday. I took monday off and got two more dives in. The water is still nice and warm (59 degrees). Over all im very happy with all the equipment that i bought. I think the only thing im going to change for now is my mask. I tried a black mask monday and i liked it a lot better than my clear mask. Im going to keep diving this season untill it gets to cold for my 8mm semi dry suit. Ive read on this board that some of you dive all year round in a wet suit. Im thinking maybe a dry suit for xmass.
Im going diving again this weekend:D my wife allready doesnt like this scuba thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom