Buying gear before dive class or after

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice gear! What the heck do you do for a living? Full set of gear plus a drysuit, I need a job like that!

Have you suggested to your wife that she try diving? Always room for one more diver!

Joe

scubajoe once bubbled...
Nice gear! What the heck do you do for a living? Full set of gear plus a drysuit, I need a job like that!

Have you suggested to your wife that she try diving? Always room for one more diver!

Joe

Hey Joe im just a construction worker. I dont have a dry suit yet and ill have to sell something first to get one. In fact i had to sell a collection to buy what i have now. As for my wife diving id love it but its not going to happen. After she saw the movie jaws she never went in the ocean again. As soon as my kids are older ill get them in to it. They love to snorkel. Im diving tomorow. I have to admit im hooked. So far very thing to do with diving has been great. I loved my Ow class,i met some new people and made some new friends. Time will tell if i made the right choice in buying my equipment first.

:) You're a dive shop's dream come true. If you stick with diving you'll be buying new gear sooner or later. enjoy your new toys and don't worry about which gear is better. It's all good.

Realize that Scuba is not for everyone. Find out if you are one of the few possibly many who love the sport and wish they got into it sooner.

If you buy your own gear, you will pay several thousand depending on what you get and the quality of the gear you buy.

I bought my own and I am glad I did. The only thing I would now change is the fact the I bought a wetsuit and now need to go with a drysuit.

rakjar once bubbled...
Realize that Scuba is not for everyone. Find out if you are one of the few possibly many who love the sport and wish they got into it sooner.

If you buy your own gear, you will pay several thousand depending on what you get and the quality of the gear you buy.

I bought my own and I am glad I did. The only thing I would now change is the fact the I bought a wetsuit and now need to go with a drysuit.

I have my own gear too and i wish i bought a dry suit too. I have a 8mm suit and stay pretty warm in the water. Its when you get out is when it gets realy cold. Ive bee looking at dry suits far a while. May be nemo can buy me one. :)

CTbottomtime once bubbled...

I have my own gear too and i wish i bought a dry suit too. I have a 8mm suit and stay pretty warm in the water. Its when you get out is when it gets realy cold. Ive bee looking at dry suits far a while. May be nemo can buy me one. :)

Ya ok i'll buy a dry suit for you but you pay.
:D

Buy gear after the class is over. In the mean time, start doing research on different gear. (ScubaBoard is a good source)

I've see a lot of people spend a small fortune on gear, get certified...and never dive again. You want to make sure that you will stick with diving. You also need to make sure that you buy good gear the first time around instead of having to re-buy everything later on because you made poor decisions.

I actually just finished my AOW last weekend and bought my first rig today. I wouldn't buy gear (except mask, snorkel, fins) until you finish the course. Rent some gear first, talk to fellow divers and read the reviews to find a good rig that suits you best.

As for myself, I got the Dive-Rite Transpac II w/Travel wings today, an Oceanic Alpha 7 reg and octo, a Dive-Rite SPG and the Suunto Favor S computer. The Transpac gives me all the comfort of a back-inflate BC, modularity and the option to switch to a BP/W setup later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom