Buying scuba gear to last

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great follow up question (always ask why in my opinion...)

My thoughts were that if you are starting in singles with a plan to go into more technical dives then there is an overwhelming chance you will be going to doubles.

Having two tanks made at same/similar time will make them all the easier to "pair" together into doubles.

yes when that takes place you will need the bands and manifold.

Usually owning your own tanks will make the diving trips all the easier. If you are always flying/traveling then that is a different story. 2 tanks seems to be a near "min" for going on a boat trip or simply meeting up with people at a quarry and being able to get out and back in the water relatively quickly. Not a show stopper to not own, but makes life easier.

Dave

That makes sense. I didn't realize until now that 2 tanks play a big role in recreational diving too, and not only in tech. I will certainly need doubles for tech, but you mentioned that: 'having two tanks made at same/similar time will make them all the easier to "pair" together into doubles.' It made me wonder if there is a mechanical reason for this, or is it just a personal preference? Does it have something to do with: being better aware of the working condition of both tanks rather than have one more likely to fail?

Can I add the slow down part again... rebreathers!

You're a mirror image of me when I first started too, get the best to last (Halcyon eclipse, FF excelerating, jets, etc, etc) I was also thinking of rebreathers too till the 50K investment in terms of training, equipment, risks etc put me off thinking about them for a while.

Just get your basic equipment, dive, enjoy, repeat till you're bored of single tanks n then come back to ask for more advice.

SangP

I just dropped the word 'rebreather' because there is always mention of them, and their benifits in every cave/tech book. Although I said I chose the one I like, I know I won't be diving a rebreather anytime soon. After reading 'rebreathers simplified' and 'mastering rebreathers', I have gained an interest in them, enough to keep an eye out for information on them, but that is about it for now. As far as rebreathers go, I don't think it is ever too early to just look through info on them. That way, when you feel that the time is right for a potential change to a rebreather, you will know if you should.

We better end the rebreather topic here. Rebreathers are a topic of their own. I have only red about them and looked at pictures; I only have a vague idea about what diving one is.

Shhhhh, don't tell him that let him burst the bubble himself :rofl3:!

Diving is one of the only sports where you don't get anything from coming in first:

No prizes for:
1. Going down and coming up first.
2. Having more gear then the rest
3. Going round the dive site first
4. Spending more time checking out your valves/gauges more often than anyone else.
5. No of times you can clear your mask
6. Having the highest SAC
8. Finally you don't get any prize for having the latest n most expensive gear... :baby::dork2:

SangP

Btw, tech diving SOUNDS cool but actually you look like a fool! We look and move about like a pregnant whale, barely able to stand up straight with 4 tanks, waddle about trying to get into the water asap and return to the surface after a long diving looking and feeling like something the cat dragged in a week ago!

I got to wonder about #4. I would imagine there might be a prize for that one in the long run.

That makes sense. I didn't realize until now that 2 tanks play a big role in recreational diving too, and not only in tech. I will certainly need doubles for tech, but you mentioned that: 'having two tanks made at same/similar time will make them all the easier to "pair" together into doubles.' It made me wonder if there is a mechanical reason for this, or is it just a personal preference? Does it have something to do with: being better aware of the working condition of both tanks rather than have one more likely to fail?

One additional suggestion, instead of focusing on getting new gear etc, go do some research on the history of diving especially gear configuration evolution. From double tank setups, side mount for confined spaces n wreck/cave diving equipment.

Next, research dive conditions that you're more likely to experience around your area or places you'll like to visit. Combine the 2 and you'll know what works best where.

I got to wonder about #4. I would imagine there might be a prize for that one in the long run.

There is, it's the paranoid prize. Miss seeing the whale shark above you while you're too busy checking gauges/clearing masks etc, missing out the tiny flower crab on a soft coral cus you're doing lift bag drills. You'll make a great buddy if only you were watching where your buddy was instead of your spg.

Honestly, you're not diving unless you're diving instead of gear monitoring.

SangP

One additional suggestion, instead of focusing on getting new gear etc, go do some research on the history of diving especially gear configuration evolution. From double tank setups, side mount for confined spaces n wreck/cave diving equipment.

Next, research dive conditions that you're more likely to experience around your area or places you'll like to visit. Combine the 2 and you'll know what works best where.

There is, it's the paranoid prize. Miss seeing the whale shark above you while you're too busy checking gauges/clearing masks etc, missing out the tiny flower crab on a soft coral cus you're doing lift bag drills. You'll make a great buddy if only you were watching where your buddy was instead of your spg.

Honestly, you're not diving unless you're diving instead of gear monitoring.

SangP

Research on gear configuration evolution!? That sounds nice. Any recommendations on the source to this knowledge? I ordered 'Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving' just recently to find out more about DIR, though I doubt it will have much as far as configuration evolution goes.

I'm told there can be some differences during production runs that won't necessarily change the cylinder's abilities but can have minor differences in size. not noticeable or observable until the cylinders are linked together. Can't say that I have seen it first hand but have heard of one fellow that had a height difference between two cylinders when paired up which made it a little more awkward when sitting on the boat. Seems to be a common thread of thought to "buy two".

Should be a variety of past posts on the validity or lack there of for this.
Regardless of validity on the mfg specs would encourage two cylinders; at least in my findings has always been useful for when two or more dives are planned for same day. (one can be filled while the other is in water with you).

Enjoy the fundies book.

Honestly, there are so many books out there that I am hard pressed to mention a few furthermore, some are very text heavy like U.S. Navy Diving Manual which is available online as a pdf.

Look around your local library for anything related to the history of diving:

Deep Diving & Submarine Operations,

NOAA Diving Manual
Diving for Science and Technology, 4th Edition

There also several books on Jacques Cousteau where you can read about his various invention from wetsuits to Aqua-Lung and how he changed the image of diving and conservation.

As my law professor once said "the library is that way".

SangP

Dante,

How new are you?

My first reaction is to suggest, as Yoda would say "Patience!"

there are two things that affect the logevity of your dive gear in my mind.
1) Being able to use it when you are doing technical diving.
2) Still be diving when you get to the stage of doing technical diving.

The number of people I know who are ex-scuba divers is massive compared to those who currently dive. There is a guy at work who hasn't dived in a couple of years, because Uni and a family has gotten in the way. Also remember this appplies to both you and your buddy, because if you lose your current buddy then you need to spend time finding a new buddy and getting them back up to the same level.

On top of that, everything you buy needs to be maintained and some things (like tanks) may need regular testing, and some will become either obsolete, or better models will come along.

If you are not going to do technical diving straight away, it may be better to wait until you are closing to tech diving before buying some of the things. I was thinking about going down that path, but it would mean getting rid of the existing BC and regs, and when I thought about it honestly, I probably don't need to yet.

@ franny

I am relatively new. I have started diving almost 2 month ago. As for gear, I have already made the purchase:

-Hollis S38 Backplate with OMS Single Tank Adapter and a DIR Harness with a Hollis Crotch Strap

-Hollis S38Wing

-Uwatech 330m

-Zeagle Flathead 7 Regulator (got it on sale for $550)

-Zeagle Z Octo Flathead 7 second stage

-Aluminum tank

-single tank DIR hose setup

-Halcyon Brass SPG

Good stuff :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom