Buying Used Gear from LDS Mix Matching ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanLover91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My LDS has their student gear from last year for sale for a decent price. My fiance and I used the same equipment during our training (except it was newer) but we loved them and thought they (I'm talking regulators and octos here) would make great first purchases. They are the Aqualung Titan Reg and Titan Octo. I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner yet so I am unsure if the hoses come with the reg and octos, I have a feeling they don't though. What my question is, I think anyways, is can we buy our regs and octos now, then later find a low pressure inflator hose and spg/computer. We can only afford to get the reg/octo set ups for each of us right now and it works out that they are on sale but we don't know if this would work or not, we are pretty sure that it will but I wanted to check with you all first.

TIA

My LDS has their student gear from last year for sale for a decent price. My fiance and I used the same equipment during our training (except it was newer) but we loved them and thought they (I'm talking regulators and octos here) would make great first purchases. They are the Aqualung Titan Reg and Titan Octo. I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner yet so I am unsure if the hoses come with the reg and octos, I have a feeling they don't though. What my question is, I think anyways, is can we buy our regs and octos now, then later find a low pressure inflator hose and spg/computer. We can only afford to get the reg/octo set ups for each of us right now and it works out that they are on sale but we don't know if this would work or not, we are pretty sure that it will but I wanted to check with you all first.

TIA

Rarely will you see someone sell a regulator set without the hoses... Unless they explicitly state so that it's the "stages only".

as for the LP inflator hose for the BC, most of the time I've seen regulators for sale used, they include these with the regulators, even if the come with the BC when new.

why? just because when assembled, the LP inflator hose is installed on the reg set and not the BC.

I always tell folks to ask if it's included with a reg set or BC set, if sold seperately.

As for SPG/computer console later on, no reason you can't "mix and match" these. It's done often if someone likes another brand computer.

More typical is to have the same brand 2nd stage and octo. It just makes rebuilds easier in case a shop doesn't carry one of the brands. but there is no rule in most cases against that mixing those... however you might run into some that aren't used to the IP (Intermediate pressure) of the first stage of another brand and might tend to free flow more and need adjusted to account for that.

I'm pretty sure those regs will include at least 2 low-pressure hoses per reg set (hoses for the primary 2nd-stage and the octo)....and there's a good chance the BC inflator hose will be included too (but you need to confirm that). You can use whatever SPG/computer you want as an add-on later.

The Titan regs only have ONE HP port, meaning you can only attach one high-pressure device to the reg (i.e. computer or SPG, for example)...that may or may not be a problem for you, but something to think about. It IS possible to attach more than one HP device to a Titan...IF, you know what you're doing....through the use of specialized Trident-brand 'L' and 'T' adapters attached to the 1st-stage, I've managed to attach (3) HP devices to my Titan, but I don't think you're quite ready to have THAT discussion just yet, especially if you only really want/need one HP device attached to the reg anyway.

Thanks for all the responses!! :) I went ahead and bought 2 regs and 2 octos they did both come with their hoses, just no LP inflator, but that's okay. Once we save up a little more we will get the rest of it so they can be complete (usable) sets. :) Thanks again for the responses!! :) :)

Back
Top Bottom