C&C - A few pics from a newb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marc,

Here's a link to the magic filter page for underwater digital photography. I think if you go there and take a look, you'll see what I mean about it being really good for the type of "natural light" photography you are trying for the wreck. Stobes really can't light up a wreck. If you have seen some of the pics I posted of a small wreck and my wife had, you'll see that you can light a small portion of it but only if you are very close and then use a wide angle to show the rest of it but it will be blue. The magic filter will help with a lot of that (but it isn't meant to be used with strobes).

Cloudy white balance (what I use) is really only going to work with strobes. It pumps up the color a bit. The only white balance that will work without strobes is a manual white balance. Find some nice white sand or a white card you take down to white balance against in manual and then use that. The magic filter will help with this issue also by introducing the missing reds back into the picture.

The night shot shows the flash for sure, but yea, you are probably just too far away from things in your day shots for it to show. If it isn't a strobe, the internal flash will have a hard time anyhow which is why I suggested maybe the magic filter for you to make it easy and should give you some nice shots.

Let us know how it goes if you get the magic filter or whatever you do next. I would like to know if anything we have rambled about here has helped you! :D

Thanks Rich. I'll definitely look into the magic filter.
I think I will get a beating with the WB as I do not think my camera can do any manual adjustments apart from the modes I have stated above. I guess I'll just have to find a way to work with what I have.
I'll let you guys know how it works out on this trip.

Back
Top Bottom