CA Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do have amazing diving here. I have been trying to get out to Catalina. I can't wait to dive there. I was there years ago but I did not dive then. We have one of the old glass bottom boats here in our bay. The Little Mermaid.

You should come visit it here. It is truly amazing.

drbill:
Definitely a 7mm, probably with hooded vest for NorCal diving. From what my friends tell me, Monterey offers fantastic diving (never been myself). However, you can always try the "warmer" waters of SoCal... especially out here on Catalina Island where we dive year-round in 3mm shorties (worn over our 7mm full suits with 5mm hooded vests underneath... just kidding).

Let us know when you can come up. Having just come back from Catalina, I can tell you that the diving here is more colorful. Colder, but way more colorful. Hit me up if you think you'll be up this way and I'll put together a welcoming party.

Basically there are two main areas to dive around here. The most popular area is Monterey, which is about 2 hours South of the Bay Area. You will find a lot of people on this board who dive there regularly. Trips are usally more informal get togethers than an organized event. They also have several charter boats that run regular trips. You could check with local dive clubs to see what they might be doing. I sure one of the other board people has more information on that.

The other area is the North Coast, which stretches along Sonoma and Mendocino County. The diving is pretty fair in Sonoma County and can be quite spectacular in Mendocino. I am part of a group that does monthly dives along the North Coast, which alternate between Sonoma and Mendocino Counties. You can find us at www.northcoastdivers.org. Newcomers are always welcome and our next dive is Saturday, 12/9 and we should be having one in January, weather permitting.

As for your wetsuit, most of us prefer drysuits, but if 5mm is okay for you, then more power to you.

Haha, when diving wet, I put on a very nice 4/3 then follow it up with a Pinnacle Polar which is over 7mm, and was cold every time. Now I dive dry and am toasty warm.

Many of us from North Coast Divers will also go to Monterey to dive, as it is one of the best CA dive spots around.

dannobee:
Let us know when you can come up. Having just come back from Catalina, I can tell you that the diving here is more colorful. Colder, but way more colorful. Hit me up if you think you'll be up this way and I'll put together a welcoming party.

That's not the same as a lynching party, is it? Seriously, thanks for the offer. If I can get mainland cable providers to start airing my TV show, I plan to do a lot more dive travel and filming within the state to increase its viewer appeal!

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. SO...if a gal was in the market for a 7mm hoodie, where is the best place in the Bay area to look? Also, I need to get my reg, tanks (nitrox) & bc checked/vp'd. Is there somewhere local you all would recommend?
AND, thanks for the great ideas for January. I should have my travel schedule together by next week, so will start to put some concrete plans together then.
I am advanced, nitrox & cavern certified, but since it has been over a year, and all my diving has been in caves or warm waters, would you all recommend one of those "getting aquainted w/ CA diving" courses they offer at some Monterey dive shops or do you think a bunny slope run with locals is enough to acquaint me with the CA waters?

sfgirl:
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. SO...if a gal was in the market for a 7mm hoodie, where is the best place in the Bay area to look? Also, I need to get my reg, tanks (nitrox) & bc checked/vp'd. Is there somewhere local you all would recommend?
AND, thanks for the great ideas for January. I should have my travel schedule together by next week, so will start to put some concrete plans together then.
I am advanced, nitrox & cavern certified, but since it has been over a year, and all my diving has been in caves or warm waters, would you all recommend one of those "getting aquainted w/ CA diving" courses they offer at some Monterey dive shops or do you think a bunny slope run with locals is enough to acquaint me with the CA waters?

A nice place to get a good hood would be Otter Bay They can make you a nice custom hood and are very popular around our area.

As for a dive shop, Bamboo Reef in San Francisco is probably your best bet. They should be able to take care of all of your servicing.

An intro course would be a good idea, since the diving is significantly different. I offer a course that can be taken during any of our club dives. I do believe that any of the shops in Monterey have them as well. However, there are several very experienced divers on this board that you could go out with and get an orientation from as well. Just be sure to ask lots of questions. Topics should include: Cold water acclimation and gear, kelp, marine mammals, low vis procedures, brush up on navigation, and local emergency services.

Dr Bill-Im stunned you have not been diving in Monterey..??!! Come on up and we'll show you some good stuff!It would be a pleasure to meet/dive with you!

SFgirl-It sound like you are very experienced..just need someone to show you the ropes so to speak.I still dive wet (7ml) and for the most part it is doable, but the SI and repeat dives are what is tough!Saving my centavos for a DS-soon,soon!
Let us know when you get situated and we'll show you some neat stuff!

Drew

No, I live in Emeryville, but my work territory includes Redwood City up to Santa Rosa, including San Francisco. So, I am willing to go to a dive shop anywhere within that territory if it is highly recommended for all needed services.

Back
Top Bottom